cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postgres Cluster backup failing

Zmanda-user
Level 2

Using postgres 9.2 cluster and using the zmanda nbu postgres agent to back them up.

NBU 7.6

When i use the physical name is in the policy the backup is done successfully.

When i try to backup with just the virtual name the backup failed in exit status 3

I can get a successfull backup  if in the netbackup bp.conf, the client_name = virtual_name

my questionn is i do not want to use this workaround but is there a fixed way to do this in nbu to make it work without changing the bp.conf and the client name field.

i have tried aliases 

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpclient -client hostname  -add_alias cluster name

but it still doesnt work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have in all my years with NBU never seen the Zmanda agent.

For other DB agents, cluster info is each agent guide.
Like for Oracle, there is a NB_ORA_CLIENT variable in the script where the virtual name can be specified, while CLIENT_NAME in bp.conf stays local hostname.

The Postgress documentation is not available on Symantec site along with other NBU manuals and agent guides. Seems Zmanda is keeping everything to themselves.

I would look in the agent guide for information on how to backup a cluster, and if the info is not clearly documented, then log a call with Zmanda.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Don't know postgress or zmanda, but for oracle and SAP, you need the client name to be the virtual name.

What I have done in the past is having multiple bp.conf files, the standard one with the physical node name as the client name and one under the oracle or sap users home folder with the virtual name as the client name

This requires that altnames is set up to allow to physical nodes to access the virtual nodes backups.

hope this helps

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Zmanda-user
Level 2

thanks Michael.

i will try that out.

The policy type is datastore and since it works with XBSA it looks at the bp.conf for the information and the client name in the policy.

i will update with the steps but do let me know if there are any other suggestions to try out.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have in all my years with NBU never seen the Zmanda agent.

For other DB agents, cluster info is each agent guide.
Like for Oracle, there is a NB_ORA_CLIENT variable in the script where the virtual name can be specified, while CLIENT_NAME in bp.conf stays local hostname.

The Postgress documentation is not available on Symantec site along with other NBU manuals and agent guides. Seems Zmanda is keeping everything to themselves.

I would look in the agent guide for information on how to backup a cluster, and if the info is not clearly documented, then log a call with Zmanda.