cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poweroff VMs backup failed with status 4239 / Unable to find virtual machine

shahriar_sadm
Level 6

Hi dear all,

All powered off VMs snapshot failed with status 4239. Even when I selected VM from the list! also I disable quiesce option but issue not resolved, PS. VM identifier is set to VM display name.

Master Server is Linux and NBU 7.7

VM backup host is Windows 2008 and NBU 7.7

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
What is the last refresh time that you see when you select the vm from the list?

Can you refresh the complete list once again and then try to select the hosts once again.. If you are using query based policy then do test your query after refreshing the list..

Apart from that if there are multiple esx hosts or vcenters kindly specify which esx to search the vm during listing or backing up. you shoud find this setting in advanced settings under vmware tab

Hi thanks for reply.

I selected vm from list after reftesh and even use query or just type vm name but not help and backup failed. 

I have 3 vcenter and about 10 esx servers added to netbackup if I selected vcenter contain specific vm in advanced setting backup will fail soon and if not backup will fail after search all vcenters and esx servers.

any other idea?!

Thnaks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at logs yet?
bpfis and VxMS logs on Backup Host as a start.

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

Just the bpfis as the snapshot is what is failing.

The error is very specific that we are unable to find the virtual machine.

So is there anything in your policy that would make us not find your VM?

For example do you have a VMware Server added in the Advanced settings in your policy?

VarunChauhan
Level 2

Hi 

If this is a one time backup requirement then please try to create a new policy and select the VM manually after refreshing the list as highligted in below image. Once this gets complete. Browse your VM and select it. Use "VM Display Name" as primary identifier. Update the vCenter Details in Advance Settings and save. Run the backup and if it again fails check the bpfis and VxMS logs on Backup Host as mentioned by marianne.

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

please try to backup poweredOFF VMs with a policy with disabled snapshots. It wont work with snapshots. To disable quiesce option is not sufficient. I had this challenge some times ago and we solved it by using VIP. "Default" policy to backup VMs we added criteria for powerstate=poweredON. Copy to new policy, changed poweredON to poweredOFF and disabled snapshots. It worked.

Another point: Do really need a fresh backup of poweredoff VMs ?

ciao

tunix2k