cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepare to restore operation in netbackup bmr

somesh_p
Level 4

Anyone knows the fix for the below issue? Please suggest. I am using netbackup 7.5.0.4

there is a known issue with the Prepare to Restore operation in NetBackup's BareMetal Restore (BMR) module which effects all versions which use a Linux/UNIX master server.

The issue is related to a query for the list of backup images that the Prepare to Restore performs. The query sets an end date of '-e 9999999999' which is the 7th of Sept 2014 when converted to a date e.g.

# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpdbm -ctime 9999999999

1410065407 = Sun Sep  7 14:50:07 2014

This means that no backup performed after this date will be included in the list of images considered when performing a BMR recovery.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please share the URL where you found this issue?

atuld
Not applicable
Employee

This issue has been identified internally and EEB are available for below releases.

Also fixed in future releases.

Marianne

This issue has been identified internally

Interesting!

Any reason why nothing is published in LBN with details of issue and fix? 

somesh_p
Level 4

I am using 7.5.0.4. Is there any workaround for this? can you give me link to EEB that I can download for 7.5.0.6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Remind me of this one -  programming error:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH16201

Marianne

@somesh_p, where did you find out about this issue?

I have in the meantime heard from a friend at Symantec that no documentation has been published as yet because the Support case that identified this issue is still open.
TNs are only published when the support case is closed.

If you have a Support case open, your support engineer will be able to give you a download link, but it seems that you will have to patch your environment to a version for which an EEB was created.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As Marianne mentioned, if your experencing this, and you don't have a case open, you will need to open a case with Symantec support to see if the EEB is a sutiable fix for your environment. If you are are at 7.5.0.6 or below, you will need to upgrade to at least 7.5.0.7.

Versions 7.5.0.7, 7.6.0.1, 7.6.0.2, and 7.6.0.3, have a EEB 

mnolan
Level 6

Marianne

Thanks for the TN.
There is something missing though.... How to obtain the 'Fix binaries'?

There are no download links and it does not say that a Support call should be logged to obtain the fix.

CRZ
Level 6

TECH224758 will be published Real Soon Now and should contain a downloadable hotfix for 7.6.0.3 which will resolve this issue.  If you're NOT at 7.6.0.3 and don't think you can apply it to your master server by the time we publish the hotfix, please don't want for a document to recommend that you open a support case if you're experiencing this issue; go ahead and call us now and open that support case.  I'll recommend it.  Reference the appropriate Etrack listed in TECH225001 (which you should expect will disappear when TECH224758 gets published) and ask for the EEB.

By the way, there IS a 7.5.0.6 EEB as well, but I would be very surprised if we were to go any earlier so far as EEBs go.  (You should be at 7.5.0.7 already anyway!)

CRZ
Level 6

Here's the new document with a 7.6.0.3 hotfix attached:

BMR restores fail for backups taken after 7th September, 2014 when using non-Windows Master Servers
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH224758