cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent backups to start every month

bliblibli
Level 3

Hi,

I'm using Netbackup 6.5 on 300+ servers. Everything works fine. But I have a little problem :

I'm doing a full backup every Month (1st), a full backup every week end (with a lower retention period) and a diff backup every evening.

Most of the month, I don't have any problems. But when a new month begins, the full backups start, and the other backups (daily diffs on weekdays or fulls diffs on week ends) start too. Thsi raises a race condition, the first backup to get a hand on a tape wins. And then, I need 2 or 3 days to restart the full backups that failed.

What I'd like to do, is to prevent make weekly backups and daily backups to start when we are the 1st day of the month (especially when, like the last week end, this is the week end. I then have the monthly full + the weekly full + the daily diff on monday morning, that a little bit overkill).

I found a way to excludes dates, but I have to check by hand for every policies (hundreds...). Is there a way to make an exclude date for all weekly and daily schedules for all policies and for all months (not just the next month) ? 

If it's impossible, is there a way to script it ?

Thanks a lot

5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6

I simply created a second policy explicitly for the monthly fulls on the first day of the month. I exclude both weekly and daily backups to run on the 1st day of the month.

Stumpr2
Level 6

use bpplsched or bpplschedrep to do it via a script or command line

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

I'm assuming your different schedules are in the same policy?  If so, can you set the exact same start windows for each schedule?  If you do that, then only one should run.

I don't exclude days for any of my policies (at least not to prevent simultaneous backups running).

--

Darren

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If it's not feasible to amend your policies/schedules as Darren remarks then it's certainly possible to script it as Bob suggests.

This is from an earlier post of mine in response to a similar question (which I've just managed to find again in this new 'forum' !). It's a very simple script but you should be able to tweak it to suit. I would run each aspect separately so you can see what output you are getting (test, test, test) as in it's current guise it would add an exclude date to ALL schedules in ALL policies.

bppllist > policy.lst

cat policy.lst|
while read POLICY
do
bpplsched $POLICY -U|grep Schedule|cut -d: -f2 > $POLICY.sched
        cat $POLICY.sched|
        while read SCHEDULE
        do
        bpplschedrep $POLICY $SCHEDULE -excl 12/17/2008
        done
rm $POLICY.sched
done

bliblibli
Level 3

EDIT : Nevermind, this works, thanks a lot.