cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Probably silly) question about inserting blank tapes into library and being assigned wrong hcart type

Dan_Vargas
Level 4
Hi guys, I'm totally new in the backup to tape world. I am following a SOP that my predecessor left for the backup system. I loaded new tapes into the library, and my backups are not starting (error 96) because no media is available. After loading the new tapes I run an inventory and then assigned the correct volume pool. But I can see that the previous backup jobs used hcart tapes, and the ones I loaded are labeled as hcart2 when I go to the robots section and check the list of tapes in the robot. Could you help? What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This is a bit weird as my experience has been that the media type will normally be added as the same type as the drive types. Please double-check that the drive type is indeed hcart as well as the Storage Unit. (The robot type should be TLD). To see why the wrong type is assigned, please select 'Advanced Options' in Inventory Update screen and have a look at Default media type. You can also configure a Barcode Rule to get all new tapes to go to Scratch pool (if you have one) and correct media type. Delete all incorrectly added tapes before you run another Inventory. Hope this helps as I am not in front of a system to double-check. All of this is also documented in NBU Admin Guide I (hope you have downloaded it?).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Dan_Vargas
Level 4

Forgot to mention. In the robot properties, I can see it's hcart, hence why it's not being able to use hcart2 tapes.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This is a bit weird as my experience has been that the media type will normally be added as the same type as the drive types. Please double-check that the drive type is indeed hcart as well as the Storage Unit. (The robot type should be TLD). To see why the wrong type is assigned, please select 'Advanced Options' in Inventory Update screen and have a look at Default media type. You can also configure a Barcode Rule to get all new tapes to go to Scratch pool (if you have one) and correct media type. Delete all incorrectly added tapes before you run another Inventory. Hope this helps as I am not in front of a system to double-check. All of this is also documented in NBU Admin Guide I (hope you have downloaded it?).

Dan_Vargas
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

My Storage unit's density is hcart indeed. Robot type is TLD. Drive tape is also TLD and hcart.

--

I just ran the inventory tool with advanced options, forcing it to be hcart, and it worked! Thanks so much, now my jobs are launching without error 96.

It seems there are some barcode rules in place here. I'll try to review them later, but for now at least I know how to work around them.