Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem adding new LTO drive to Library

MikelSS
Level 3

Hi,

I just added new LTO7 Drive to my library HPE MSL 4048

I'm having problems to configure it because NetBackup recognizes it but I do not know how to force some tapes to load in LTO7 and another ones to load in LTO6

I created a new volume pool to split it but still do not work.

Should I create 2 LUN? What is the preferred configuration in my scenario?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MikelSS
Level 3

OK,

It's working right now.

This is what I did wrong .

1.- After reconfiguring drives, I forgot to check multiplexing in the new one

2.- When you have 2 drives in the same library, netbackup needs to know wich ID is the one that you are trying to use (in the Dive properties there is a field called "Robot drive number"). That one was pointing bad

Thanks everyone.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

two otions:

1. both dirves are of the same type ( hcart, hcart2 etc). The tapes must be of the same type too. Big disadvantage you can use LTO6 tapes only.

2. better: have for example the LTO6 drive and LTO6 tapes as hcart and the LTO7 drive and tapes as hcart2. Netbackup will never use a hcart tape in a drive of other type.

So you are able to ensure that LTO6 tapes are used in LTO6 Drives only. This will result in 2 StorageUnits one for hcart the other for hcart2 using the same library. In your policies you  can configure wich StorageUnit should be used.

For easy setup of barcoderules it will be helpfull if barcodes for LTO6 and LTO7 are differs at the first numbers/vocal instead of using l6 l7 from the end of barcode.

ciao

tunix2k

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Excellent explanion above!

My 2c:

If you have used the NetBackup Device Config Wizard to add the new drive, it would've added it as different density.

You can see this in the Device GUI and also from cmd: 

tpconfig -l
(command is in .....Veritas\volmgr\bin)

So, depending on the densities that you see in the output or GUI, you need media with matching density for each drive type.
Plus obviously matching STU for each density...

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

As LTO7 are pretty new, you might have to upgrade the library firmware on the HP 4048

If the tape drives show up as the same type you probably have to update the device mappings in Netbackup, with the latest device mapping file from the support site.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

MikelSS
Level 3

Thanks to all the suggestions.

This is what I did. (I think i'm too close )

1.- as Michael told me, I updated the device mappings with the last ones.

2.- Deleted the robot configuration and all the drives and started again (after restarting the server)

- The wizard recognizes good both drives, LTO6 and LTO7 that belongs to my library HP4048. Both drives are connected directly to the server using SAS cable.

Then I selected hcart3 to LTO6 (it was my previous configuration ) and hcart2 to LTO7. 

After that , I create a  new Volume Pool for LTO7 and new Policy to test it.

The library have 2 LTO6 tapes and 2 LTO7 tapes in it.

When I click to "Inventory Robot" to update NetBackup Media db, it sets LTO6 tapes as hcart3 but LTO7 tapes (new ones) it set as DLT (not HCART2). Also Netbackup create a new Volume Group and put the new tapes (LTO7) in it.

Moved those tapes to my new volume pool and tried a manual backup  but  No media is available unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96).

I think I'm close to make this work.

Regards

MikelSS
Level 3

OK,

It's working right now.

This is what I did wrong .

1.- After reconfiguring drives, I forgot to check multiplexing in the new one

2.- When you have 2 drives in the same library, netbackup needs to know wich ID is the one that you are trying to use (in the Dive properties there is a field called "Robot drive number"). That one was pointing bad

Thanks everyone.

Regards