Did you mean: 

Problem in restoring whole VM in NB 7.5 Beta 2 from VMware single pass backup

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

NB version: 7.5 Beta 2 

NB O/S : Windows 2008 R2 EE SP1 64bit

ESX version : ESXi 4.1

Having problem when restoring whole VM from VMware single pass backup.

I can backup VM with VMware single pass backup including MSSQL databases. I can also restore single file or individual MSSQL databases from VMware ingle pass backup. But when tried to restore whole VM I am getting an error. I open BAR and select "Restore from Virtual Machine Backup" then select the virtual machine and the vmdk. Then I click "Start Restore of Marked Files" and in the "Virtual Machine Recovery" window I select "Alternate location". Then it starts to retrieve information, but when it tries to retrieve "resource pools" and "data stores" informations, it gives the following errors

"Retrieving details of resource pools - Failed system call failed ( 11 )"

and

"Retrieving details of data stores - Failed system call failed ( 11 )"

But I can proceed by clicking "OK" when these errors comes to screen. So I proceeded by clicking "OK" and typed the name of the new virtual machine then started the restore. But retore ended with status 2820 (VMware policy restore error).

Restore of single files and individual MSSQL databases from VMware single pass backup are OK. But whole virtual machine restore is problem.

3 REPLIES 3

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee

Can you recover any VM (application-less VM) without those error messages?  They suggest there is a problem communicating with vCenter.

Can you restore "to the original" and get to the last wizard step without similar errors (you don't actually need to launch the recovery to the original.)

Regards
Brian

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee

Are you recovering via an ESX server?  I'm told that this is common when the ESX server name, as saved in the master server properties, is a "short hostname" and not a long FQDN.  The wizard is attempting to connect with the ESX Server, but the ESX server hostname cannot be resolved to an IP address.  Backups work (because we backup via the proxy), but restores fail because we cannot connect.

Can you look into that?

Brian

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Brian

I ran an application-less traditional VMware snapshot backup. The backup was OK, but in restore to the "Altenate location", we had the same problems and errors. If there is a problem communicating with vcenter, how can we test that and how can we solve the communication problem?

Then we try to restore to the "Original location" and we had no error to the last wizard step. (ofcourse, we did not run the restore)

We are using vcenter for both backup and restore operations. We do not use ESX server, we have 11 ESX server in that vcenter.

Thank you

Evren