Did you mean: 

Problem with NDMP backup

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

I am haveing a recurring issue with an NDMP backup. First the environment:

Master Server: Window 2008 R2 Enterprise NetBackup 7.0.1

Media Server: Windows 2003 Enterprise Netbackkup 7.0.1

NDMP is an EMC NX4

I have 3 policies running on this for a total of 11 paths and 1 path fails with a 13 error. The others run fine. Most of the time, it's the full that fails but the incremental backup has fail before. The following are the error messages in the job detail.

8/15/2013 9:39:08 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=1608) db_FLISTsend failed: file read failed (13)      
8/15/2013 9:39:09 AM - Error ndmpagent(pid=3784) terminated by parent process        
8/15/2013 9:39:15 AM - Error ndmpagent(pid=3784) NDMP backup failed, path = /hosted_qa      
8/15/2013 9:39:45 AM - Error ndmpagent(pid=3784) NDMP_LOG_ERROR 0 Medium error        
8/15/2013 9:39:46 AM - Error ndmpagent(pid=3784) NDMP_LOG_ERROR 0 Backup is aborted.       
file read failed(13)

This path could run fine for a couple of weeks then fail over and over. The storage team has looded and can't seem to find anything.

10 REPLIES 10

Will_Restore
Level 6

If backup is taking a long time try creating the NDMP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT file on the NetBackup media server per this technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH21246

Another possibility, collect the log from the EMC Data Mover

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH145721

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Check the NDMP logs in the filer, there are 5 phases in NDMP, normaly phase 1 and 2 are to index the files and phase 3 writes the directory structure, phase 4 dumps the data and 5 closes the process, normaly the first 3 phases can take long time to build the index and directory based on the number of files you may have if this is the case you will probably need to split your backups in some few folders to reduce the indexing load.

Hope this helps.

regards.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Please enable the such logging

legacy - bpbrm logging (verbose=5)

unified

ndmpagent (originator ID 134)
ndmp (originator ID 151)
nbpem (originator ID 116)
nbjm (originator ID 117)
nbrb (originator ID 118)

run on control station server_df command - to see if this path is still mounted (if this is file system not a dir in other file system).

check the server_log command for any issues...

Retry the job and check the above logs for more clues...

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

Check the volume name and space, if they dont have space the backup will fail.

smurphy
Level 4
Employee Certified

Here is the troubleshooting TechNote for NDMP:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56492

This looks like possibly a media or hardware error.  Possibly.  So you will want to collect all the logs in the above article.

Juliano_Moreira
Level 4
Hello friend

Download the Symantec Compatibility Hardware and Vendor NDMP Devices - Compatibility, (page 186) and select the manufacturer table exists "note"

In my case I chose the manufacturer Dell and note the model of my equipment Compellent FS8600 my note is the "TYPE = tar"

In backup selections in your backup policy set as picture below:

Capturar.GIF
This solved my problem without disrupting the timeout parameter, this was not the problem but the manufacturer's parameters with my backup policy.

Then answer if it worked or not for all to know.

Tks

PS: sorry if the translation is incorrect, I'm Brazilian and I'm using a translator to help you.

rookie11
   VIP   

hav u tried backup using SNAPSURE = Y option.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

thread opened on 15th August - several suggestions but never an answer from the thread creator - I assume it is fixed by now!

Juliano_Moreira
Level 4
Rookie11

I confess that it is never too late to add information to help each of the problems, but did not comment as I also have the impression that he or she is unable to resolve the problem and did not share what was given up or fix the problem.

I confess that it took me to solve but with a lot of research but I did.

Tks

JMS

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

Sorry, I'm having issues with getting others involved. I am not in the storage team and needed to wait and get someone to look into the logs. I can tell you you that it's just this path that fails and there are 11 other paths on the same unit that back up fine. This has been a challenge for me. I'm eing asked if I can see what folder in the path is getting hung. I am going to open a case with Symantec and I will post here when the issue is resolved. Sorry for the delay.