cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with NetBackup services

mniechcial
Level 4

I have a strange problem with NetBackup. From a few days Oracle Backup is visible in Activity Monitor with status "Connecting" and there are no device paths for media server. When I restart NetBackup services on Master Server, all is ok. What might be wrong: Master server or Media server? I use NetBackup 6.5.3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Its a bit hard to say, I would check the status of your drives from both master and media using vmoprcmd when you see this happening again. Might just be that the master is loosing connection to the media.

By running the command you should be able to find out where the issue is.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst

Where is Oracle running? Is that job still active after the restart (you sometimes get zombie jobs that get stuck in the activity monitor).

Where are you seeing no device paths, device configuration?

mniechcial
Level 4

Before restart, I cancel all active jobs (but none of them has status writing only connecting) so when I start again jobs, there is no zombie jobs. Missing path I can see in Device Monitor and in Topology map (symbol beside the drive icon).

RiaanBadenhorst

Its a bit hard to say, I would check the status of your drives from both master and media using vmoprcmd when you see this happening again. Might just be that the master is loosing connection to the media.

By running the command you should be able to find out where the issue is.

mniechcial
Level 4

When I ran this command now on Master Server, I can see that one drive is DOWN-TLD for Master and one of Media servers. It's quite strange, because in Windows Device Manager both drives are present.

RiaanBadenhorst

Windows device manager is not very reliable with drive status. Your drive could have packed up and went on holiday and Windows would most of the time not know about it (or at least report it in device manager)

Are there any message in the event viewer?

Create the vm.conf file in INSTALL_PATH\Veritas\Volmgr and add a VERBOSE entry to it. This will cause netbackup to log to the system logs. Might get some information from there.

mniechcial
Level 4

i had a problem with fc connection and right now, master server and media server has value SCAN-TLD in Control column in Device Monitor. Do You know is tis is normal status?

RiaanBadenhorst

SCAN-TLD is normal on the scan host. Usually one would show that, and the rest would show TLD.

EDIT: above refers to vmoprcmd output, device monitor should show TLD. Is the status still the same?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Try tpautoconf -report_disc

For info on "Scan Host":

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO32788

mniechcial
Level 4

I'm sorry for that huge delay. I restarted a tape library and after few repeats command vmoprcmd i see SCAN-TLD for Master Server and TLD for Media Server. Since that time all is good. Thanks for help.