cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with restore GRT in Exchange - Error status 42 Network Read Failed

marianoucha
Level 3

Hi,

I've configured a GRT backup of Exchange 2010.

The backup process is successful but when I'm trying to restore individual mail (I can browse them successfully in the BAR GUI) I get the error status 42 : Network read failed.

When it start, de job is QUEUE state until it fails. I try to read some logs searching for an error, but for me is normal. I also check some other solutions in the forum but i get the same error again.

All the Exchange roles are in a same server because is a lab server, I use NBU 7.0.1 in a Windows2008R2 Server.

I tested GRT with the AD and restore is sucessful.

Any new idea? Any thing i can try?

Thanks,

Mariano

16 REPLIES 16

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Share the Activity Monitor

1. Ensure the master and client are added to DNS reverse name tables
OR
2. Add host name/IP entries for the master and client in their respective hosts file (%WINDOWS%\system32\drivers\etc)

marianoucha
Level 3

Hi Zahid.

Sorry i forgot to say that in both servers i added in host file de hostname and the fqdn of the servers.

Zahid_Haseeb

Check the DNS reverse lookup again

Is there a firewall in the middle now or any anti-virus running when the backup kicks off?
Is this a duel-homed server?

marianoucha
Level 3

I´ve done a ping with reverse lookup from server and client and it runs ok ( It resolve the host in both cases).

Server has 2 NIC and 1 virtual adapter but only one is enabled the other are disabled. The Exchange is a virtual server with one virtual nic.

Windows firewall in both servers are totally disabled. The server are both in the same vlan and ip subnet with no layer 2 filter.

I´ve done a GRT with the AD and backups and restore runs ok withouth any problem.

Is there any logs i can find more information? I running logs in debug mode trying to find something strange.

There is no antivirus running on that server.

Thanks in advance.

Fr_d_ric_RIGAL
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I've had the same problem in the beginning of this year.

Do you use NBAC (VxSS) in your environment?

If yes I suggest you to open a case to the Symantec Support to obtain a special EEB.

Regards

marianoucha
Level 3

Frédéric,

Yes i have running in NBAC environment. I have cloned ( no VM, using DR procedure)  production backup server to have the same things in lab.

I´ll try to get symantec support.

Thanks.

Zahid_Haseeb

Add the media server name as said below

Windows master server:
From the Admin Console | Host Properties | Master Server, proceed to the Server tab and add the media server to the server list.

marianoucha
Level 3

Zahid i´d added the media server in Host propoerties -> Master Server -> Server and in Host propoerties -> Client -> Server

I´m trying to get some help from a Symantec Enginner, any news i´ll post here.

Thanks.

Mariano

Fr_d_ric_RIGAL
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Waiting for support call you can try the restore after disabling NBAC in the Master properties if you want

Maybe you will have a restore status 5 with file being restored well

If it's the case you need another EEB

Regards

Zahid_Haseeb

Any update after adding the media server ?

marianoucha
Level 3

Same error. sad

marianoucha
Level 3

Frédéric, how i can disable NBAC exactly? Yesterday I made some modifications there with the Exchange server and I couldn´t connect anymore. I reinstalled the Exchange server client software.

Zahid_Haseeb

Follow the below Guide

Symantec NetBackup (tm) 7.0 NBAC (NetBackup Access Control) for Windows Quick Install Guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126596

Zahid_Haseeb

As you said above

1.) I tested GRT with the AD and restore is sucessful.

2.) Exchange Server has 2 NIC  but only one is enabled the other are disabled

Do few things to narrow the problem more:

1.) Does your AD(which's GRT backup being restored successfully) have only one NIC ?

2.) Which NIC is disabled in Exchange? the first one which is the default NIC or the second? Kindly assign the IP on the NIC which is the first NIC and if possible stop the virtual ip meanwhile

marianoucha
Level 3

Zahid

Te only server that have 2 NIC is the Master / Media Veritas Server.

The two clients server AD and Exchangehave only one NIC.

marianoucha
Level 3

Thanks again Zahid!!