cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with the backup. The tape drive is in the down status in the device monitor menu.

Alex-Logan
Level 2

Good day for all!

There was a problem with the backup. The tape drive is in the down status in the device monitor menu. I'm switching to the UP status. A couple of backup tasks are performed, then the tape is again in the down status. Then the windows log starts to show errors.

Fatal open error on HP. ULTRIUM 6-SCSI. 000 (device 0,\\. \ Tape 1): The specified file cannot be found. Down'ing it.

Cannot get serial number for HP.ULTRIUM 6-SCSI.000 (device 0, SCSI coordinates {2,0,0,0}, \\.\Tape 1).

Please help me how to solve this problem. Nothing happened to the hardware, except for restarting the tape drive when replacing the UPS.

In CMD i start scan -tape

Spoiler

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>scan -tape
*********************** SDT_TAPE ************************
------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name : "Tape0"
Passthru Name: "Tape0"
Volume Header: ""
Port: 1; Bus: 0; Target: 0; LUN: 0
Inquiry : "HP Ultrium 6-SCSI 25MW"
Vendor ID : "HP "
Product ID : "Ultrium 6-SCSI "
Product Rev: "25MW"
Serial Number: "HUJ6246B9D"
WWN : ""
WWN Id Type : 0
Device Identifier: ""
Device Type : SDT_TAPE
NetBackup Drive Type: 16
Removable : Yes
Device Supports: SCSI-6
Flags : 0x0
Reason: 0x0
Device Name : "Tape2"
Passthru Name: "Tape2"
Port: 1; Bus: 0; Target: 1; LUN: 0
Serial Number: "HUJ6246BDL"
Device Name : "Tape1"
Passthru Name: "Tape1"
Port: 2; Bus: 0; Target: 0; LUN: 0
Serial Number: "HUJ6246B9D"

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi @AlexLogan 

If the Drive has been restarted, did you also restart any other components ?

If the UPS failed, the drive would have gone down, depending on how the drive is connected to the backup server, you may need to also restart other devices / components that join it to the server, and also need to restart the server itself..

Back in the day I saw this a lot if there were FIBRE /SCSI bridges involved, but essentially the process should always be..

1) Restart devices (wait for them to be powered up)
2) Restart any fibre/scsi bridge (if there is one, it is possible they are restarted as part of a tape library).
3) Restart the backup server  (in some cases you may be able to convince the OS to rescan the scsi bus for devices, but in many cases its is easier to do a reboot of the server (unless it has other active workloads / backups taking place).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

X2
   VIP   

NetBackup will mark the tape down if it does not get a response from the system. However, as you mention that after you "UP" the drive, NetBackup is able to perform a few backups and it goes down again, it seems it might be a hardware issue, wherein the drive is marked down due to an error (drive or tape).

Have you verified the tape and drive health in the library's tool? If not, generate the logs for the library, trace logs for drive in question and also, if available, media logs and ask HP/Vendor to review them.

Here are couple of tape/drive troubleshooting articles that may help.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100009219

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100009219

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi @AlexLogan 

If the Drive has been restarted, did you also restart any other components ?

If the UPS failed, the drive would have gone down, depending on how the drive is connected to the backup server, you may need to also restart other devices / components that join it to the server, and also need to restart the server itself..

Back in the day I saw this a lot if there were FIBRE /SCSI bridges involved, but essentially the process should always be..

1) Restart devices (wait for them to be powered up)
2) Restart any fibre/scsi bridge (if there is one, it is possible they are restarted as part of a tape library).
3) Restart the backup server  (in some cases you may be able to convince the OS to rescan the scsi bus for devices, but in many cases its is easier to do a reboot of the server (unless it has other active workloads / backups taking place).

Good day! At this moment, I have performed a check using HP Tape tools utilities. All systems show the absence of errors in the logs everything is functioning normally, only information from the system shutdown is in the logs. I tried to log out of the system WinServ. Log in again. And... all systems started and working normally. The tape is in the UP status. Backup tasks have started running. When the tasks are completed, nothing is disabled, the disks staying in the UP status. So thank you for the recommendations, but I was very concerned about the need to reboot or log out when disconnecting the tape drive. I think there are other ways, but in this case, this method is the fastest on the production system.