cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with /usr filesystem usage after upgrade to 7.6 on AIX Media Servers

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Hi, I've got a strange issue on AIX media servers after upgrade to 7.6. Filesystem /usr gets full because of inodes not released properly (some files are not deleted properly). Have you experienced similar issues ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Resolution is marked for 7.6.1 - looking at the eTrack it looks too complex to release as an EEB.

Workaround is to rename or change permissions on nbtelesched & nbtelemetry.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If a file is in use when deleted, the space is not released before the process using the file releases it - normal a process exit.

Excatly what files are deleted in /usr - it normal a static file system.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

We don't know which files are not deleted properly. We can't get filename from inode. We tried ncheck command but it doesn't show filename.

Server reboot resolves this issue but it's not a solution ;)) This issue exists on many AIX media servers after upgrade to 7.6.0.4 so it's probably a bug..

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I highly doubt this is a NBU issue. It's down to the OS to delete files and release inodes.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Stopping Netbackup media server processes should be enough to release the inodes if netbackup still has them open.

Can you try that ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Maybe worth a try ....

http://www.aixhealthcheck.com/blog?id=37

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

ls -il should show the inode numbers against the files, well it does for most Unix/ Linux unless AIX 'works' differently (which is quite possible).

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

I've found this script but it doesn't find anything..

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Unfortunately we are not able to find which files are not released. We've got inodes numbers but "fuser -dV /usr" and "lsof | grep deleted" doesn't show them. We stopped services on one AIX test server and free space on /usr stopped decreasing. On active media servers we lose 1GB per day on /usr (DF shows free space is decreasing but DU doesn't show occupied space increasing). We can free space on filesystem only by reboot...

How can I move a suppor case to next support line ???

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How can I move a suppor case to next support line ???

Email your Support engineer and ask that the call be escalated.
Follow up with a phone call, ask for the Duty Manager and ask for escalation.

Hopefully you have logged a call with IBM as well? 

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

I have to call Duty Manager... 

We logged a call with IBM but they said it's a problem with application ;)

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Free space can be recovered using slibclean command without any reboots and unmounts :)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

slibclean is described here:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_53/com.ibm.aix.cmds/doc/aixcmds5/slibclean.htm?cp=ssw_aix_53%2F1-2-0-18-45

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

We tested in and it works. It's probably a bug of nbtelesched which isn't releasing shared memory.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm looking at this issue at the moment.

I think yes, nbtelemetry runs approximately every 15 minutes regardless of joining the NetBackup Product Improvement Program and previous cases has been seen with the same symptoms on AIX after an upgrade.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Resolution is marked for 7.6.1 - looking at the eTrack it looks too complex to release as an EEB.

Workaround is to rename or change permissions on nbtelesched & nbtelemetry.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

youjie_yu
Level 1

Hi all,

I' ve too got this issue on AIX 6100-08,media servers, NBU version is  7.6.0.4. the /usr filesystem is filling up 100%, I had to enlarge /usr,but it still grow at 10MB/20mins.