cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems backing up Shadow Copy Components with NBU6 MP4

Shawn_Waggoner
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
We recently upgraded to NBU6 MP4 and we now have several servers that are now failing with error code 13 when going to tape and error code 42 when trying to use a disk unit. We broke out the original "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" policy to have the Shadow Copy Components and volumes separate. The volumes backup fine and the error is isolated to the Shadow Copy Components. In the job details, the job begins to write data to the storage unit and then fails. Here are the details for the error:

12/8/2006 11:54:20 AM - begin writing
12/8/2006 11:56:35 AM - Error bptm(pid=5604) socket operation failed - 10054 (at child.c.1172)
12/8/2006 11:56:35 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=2512) socket read failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. (10054)
12/8/2006 11:56:36 AM - Error bptm(pid=5604) unable to perform read from client socket, connection may have been broken
12/8/2006 11:56:53 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=2512) could not send server status message
12/8/2006 11:56:57 AM - end writing; write time: 00:02:37
file read failed(13)

We have tried to disable tracker on the client, we have tried to disable the anti-virus software and have tried both VSS and VSP. We have looked at all the NIC settings. Some of the problem servers have teamed NIC's and some do not. Both exhibit the same symptoms. The network is solid and the issue did not appear when we were on NBU5.0 MP5/MP6.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else ran into this yet?

Thanks - Shawn
20 REPLIES 20

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
If you do ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES it will backup the Shadow Copy Components. I am fairly sure since I had ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and Shadow Copy Components in a couple of policies that I was doing with streaming and when I ran the check_coverage command it stated that Shadow Copy Components was being backed up twice.

If you are doing streaming do you have NEW_STREAM listed first since you have to start all streaming policies with NEW_STREAM. Also do you have allow multiple streams checked.

278563: In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 13 in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 6.0 ...
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275189

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266294
Network data management protocol backups fail with status 13 (file read failed).Message was edited by:
Dennis Strom

Shawn_Waggoner
Level 4
Let me clarify my above description. We had ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES specified first and were getting errors. During the troubleshooting process we changed the single policy to several policies. One policy for SHADOW COPY COMPONENTS and one for C:\, one for D:\ etc.

The volume policies backup fine, however the policy for SHADOW COPY COMPONENTS fails.

Thanks.

AKopel
Level 6
Are these Windows Server 2003? The Shadow Copy Components ONLY works with Server 2003. If you are using Windows 2000 or NT, you will need to use "System State".

Aaron

Tariq_Khan
Not applicable
I am working here with Shawn so I can also add info.

The servers are Win2k3.

Shawn_Waggoner
Level 4
Yes, the servers are W2K3 and are set to use SHADOW COPY COMPONENTS. All of the servers in questions are 2K3. Thanks.

Michael_Haslam
Level 3
We have similar error and problem with quite a lot of W2K3 servers on NB 5.1 MP4, carried out all troubleshooting as per Code 14 guide to no avail, split job to C:\ and D:\ which worked ok, fails on shadow copy components.....

Ryan_Carnell
Level 3
I too have this issue for several critical servers. I am currently experiencing this issue with a client that backs up an MSA 1000, as well as one of our file share nodes.

Would love to know the fix as there is nothing available on any sites that I have found.

Thanks,

-- Ryan

AKopel
Level 6
Have you tried this MSKB? It has fixed various problems we have had with VSS..
Might be worth a try....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913648

Aaron

Ryan_Carnell
Level 3
Aaron, I will give that KB a shot right now and see if I get good results. I will run a test backup afterwards.

Ryan_Carnell
Level 3
I received the article from Microsoft but after a round-table discussion with my group, we have decided not to move forward with the hotfix as all of the servers that are experiencing this issue are production servers.

For the time being, we have decided not to backup Shadow Copies on these servers.

:(

Ryan_Carnell
Level 3

Anyone have any resolution for this yet?

dslam24
Level 4
I am going to get in on this thread as I am having the same issue. This only happened on one of our servers, and although it is not critical that I get a system state, it's annoying as h*ll to see the errors every day. I have not found a solution yet.

AKopel
Level 6
Just to re-iterate, the hotfix I mentioned above fixed many issues like this for us.

AK

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
Hi Aaron, I tried all the VSS microsoft hotfix but still my win2k3 shadow copy components backup fails :(

Devnull
Not applicable
Check on the client if there is an application fault recorded against bpbkar32. If so I would log a call.

Leon_Halford
Not applicable
This seems to be a new "feature" in MP4. We had the same issue on a few of our W2K3 servers. Symptoms completely disappear if you roll-back and use an older 6.0 client.

I have tested MP3 and GA versions of the Windows client - neither seem to have this issue and allow ALL_LOCAL_DRIVE backups to succeed without issue.

chad_hartman_2
Level 4
http://support.veritas.com/docs/286954

Kinda funny.....like going to the doctor and saying "my arm hurts when I do this"

Dr. says "Don't do that!"

Basically, to fix, uninstall MP4 or disable DFS.

dslam24
Level 4
Guys,

Here is something else I just noticed. I am having that problem on ONE server after upgrading to MP4, it never happened on any other Patch for version 6. Anyways.... I was looking through the event logs on the server that it's happening on and here is what I am getting.

Faulting application bpbkar32.exe, version 6.0.2006.1102, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.2756, fault address 0x00015e02.

From what I have googled and looked for on here, Veritas has not seen this error on bpbkar32.exe, Version 6. All the stuff I have seen is for 5 or 4.5.

I have a feeling this is the root of the issue. Has anyone actually opened up a ticket with Veritas?

dslam24
Level 4
SORRY ABOUT THE LAST POST. I DIDNT NOTICE THE SECOND PAGE.

This was the answer to my problem, NOT a solution. I guess it's back to good 'ol MP3 for me.Message was edited by:
Mauro Gonzalez