cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems upgrading RedHat 2.6 Clients from 6.5.4 to 7.1.0.2

Hastings
Level 2

I'm attempting to update my RedHat 2.6 clients to release 7.1.0.2 from 6.5.4, but receiving an error stating that the client is from a previous release of NetBackup.  Here is an exmaple command and output:

------

# update_clients -ForceInstall -ClientList /tmp/clients1

There are 1 clients to upgrade.

Do you want the bp.conf file on the clients updated
to list this server as the master server? [y,n] (y)

The upgrade will likely take 1 to 3 minutes.
Do you want to upgrade clients now? [y,n] (y)
Please be patient.

Updating client linjda_qa -- Linux hardware running RedHat2.6
        linjda_qa: Previous Release client type - no update done

The update trace can be found in /tmp/update_clients.12-29-1438.1384672.
-------

The output of /tmp/update_clients.12-29-1438.1384672 is as follows:

Will not update client linjda_qa
        linjda_qa is defined as a client type from an earlier release of NetBackup.

I'm doing a -ForceInstall there due to some tips I found while searching the forums for help, though I usually don't use it.  

I looked at the client through the admin console and the bpgetconfig command to make sure I was correct about it's OS version:
-------
# bpgetconfig -s linjda_qa -L -A
Client/Master = Client of sabak2_prd
NetBackup Client Platform = Linux, RedHat2.6
NetBackup Client Protocol Level = 6.5.4
Product = NetBackup
Version Name = 6.5
Version Number = 650000
NetBackup Installation Path = /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
Client OS/Release = Linux 2.6.18-164.el5
Cipher =
Patch Level = 6.5.4
-------

Also checked my master server version, just to make sure I'm not (completely) nuts:
-------
cat /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version
NetBackup-AIX53 7.1.0.2
-------

So, i'm uncertain wherein my problem lies.  I have already been able to update my AIX53 and AIX6 clients to 7.1.0.2 without any issues, as well as serveral of my Windows clients.  I am not currently experiencing any backup issues at all.  Quite the opposite since the update to the new version, actually (yay!).  I have just opened a case with Symantec support as well, just so I can make sure I tackle this from all available angles, but any information anyone might be able to provide to help shed some light on this would be most welcome.  I would love to be able to post the results of this experience just so someone else might not have to go through as much to fix their own.

Please let me know of anything else you'd like me to post from my systems that could help.  This is my first post here, so I apologize if the information provided is lacking.  

Thanks in advance!

-Steven

EDIT:  Tried to use the Formatted text option to make the output easier to read, but it didn't work so well, so sorry if this is a pain on the eyes.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would start in the client installer directory.

if doing remote install should be something like /use/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6 or something..

int he directory is a version file. I would check that file to see what version of a client it is. If your doing a local install as stated above i would suggest making sure the version you are trying to install is a "major release" vesion such a 7.0 or 7.1, usually patch versions like 7.1.0.2 do not include full clients but patches to the existing 7.x client.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Will_Restore
Level 6

requires first upgrading to 7.1 and then 7.1.0.2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hastings, have you checked/verified that your Linux clients are 64-bit OS?
32-bit is no longer supported.

See NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,Dedupe,OpsCenter,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:    

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would start in the client installer directory.

if doing remote install should be something like /use/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6 or something..

int he directory is a version file. I would check that file to see what version of a client it is. If your doing a local install as stated above i would suggest making sure the version you are trying to install is a "major release" vesion such a 7.0 or 7.1, usually patch versions like 7.1.0.2 do not include full clients but patches to the existing 7.x client.

Hastings
Level 2

Thanks for the responses!  I found the issue after looking at the client version.  Thanks, Douglas_A!

I don't know why I didn't check that previously, but there you have it.  For some reason when I installed the client updates to the master server, my AIX client files got updated just fine, but none of my Linux clients did.  I will have to get those installed and then I'm sure my procedure will work just fine.

Thanks, all!