cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Media IDs using NDMP version.

Cecil_Mulhollan
Not applicable
Wondering if someone with experience with this can help me out. I am using Netbackup 6.5 NDMP option. My HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader is connected directly to a NetApp filer. Configuration was not a problem. My devices and volumes all came in without issues. The problem I have is when Netbackup looks at the tapes, it assigns the tapes the Media IDs A00000-A000007 in slots 1-8 (OK so far). I do a backup, remove the tapes I want to store, put new tapes in and the media IDs do not change? I was thinking that the next tape added would get a media ID of A00008 and so on. I tried reinventorying the robot and updating volume info, etc but it still lists any tapes in the robot as A00000-A00007. When I try to do a backup, it will then generate an error stating it expected a certian media ID and found a different one. I tried changing my media ID names to something else, say tape001, tape002 and then using bplable to write the lable onto each tape. That still works for for the first 8 tapes. Once I add another tape, the software does not give it the next media ID.. Any thoughts..
2 REPLIES 2

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Do you have barcode labels for your media which are being inserted into autoloader??

I think NetBackup is generating media IDs as you do not have barcodes for tapes 

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

One would imagine that the same procedure would allow you to do the same for the next....

How to perform Media Management with standalone Drives in NetBackup 5.x and 6.x.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/296268.htm