cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with "Browse Directories Button" and file level backup in SAN mode.

sunnyyip
Not applicable
I’m a user of Netbackup 6.5.4, the main reason I’m using it because I want to make file level backups (through VCB snapshots) for guest virtual machines (windows server 2003 guest, not in IDE mode and got VM tool installed) in a VMware ESX Server 4 (VSphere).  I have VCB 1.5.0 installed; I have both master server and media server set on a machine (another physical machine) that runs Windows Server 2003; I also set the machine the backup proxy server for backup jobs.  I’m able to select virtual machines on the ESX server (for “Windows-NT” polices) to be backed up also. But I end up with two problems.
First, it is concern with “directory browse button” of guest virtual machines. To my knowledge, there are two possible modes / connection architectures for VCB, the LAN mode and SAN mode; I have no problem with backup jobs under LAN mode as long as I enter Directories to be backed up in the “Backup Selections” of a “Windows-NT” policy. But the “browse directory” button for virtual machines (clients of a policy) is not working (at a place where “Windows 2000, Windows 2003” and “System state”…etc can be selected), so as the “client machine properties”, “cannot connect on socket 25” errors occur.
Second, I cannot make file level backups under SAN mode. I have all setting the same as above except the “Snapshot Options” set as “san=0” rather than “nbd=1” of the policy type. I ‘m sure the proxy server and the ESX server share the same iSCSI storage under this scenario (and properly set), but backups end up with “bpfis: WRN - Cannot create snapshot after waiting for SNAP_LOCK_TIMEOUT: 15 minutes,  bpfis: INF - EXIT STATUS 156: snapshot error encountered”.
Have I missed some configuration? Currently, I have no VMware vCenter Server installed, any relation to this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
1 REPLY 1

nilantha
Level 3
Partner Accredited
1. you cannot browse for files, you have to specify them.

2. did you try mounting those VM's on VCB proxy using vcbmounter (vcbmounter -h <esx server name or ip> -u vcbusername -p password -a ipaddr:<ipaddress of vm>  -r mountpoint  -t file  -m san or nbd default san, u can check the config file ) 
     try to ping the vm, if you can't ping by name then add it to host file, then use vcbvmname command and verify.

3. try to use flashbackup windows so you have the option to restore either file or full vm.

4. you don't need a VCenter for it to work.