Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Professional Services

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi all!

I posted here last time regarding on the changing of NetBackup Master Server's domain name and as per recommendation of some Professionals here, they are talking about the involvement of the Consulting Services. 

What if the management didn't agree to get the Consulting Services involved in the activity in some reasons, is there any recommendation to do the migration of NBU Master Server to different domain? 

We used shortname in the installation of Master Server but in the CA Certificate it deploys FQDN, what is the consequenses on this Activity or what will happen if we pursue this Activity without the involvement of the Consulting Services.

Thank you and Best regards!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Krutons
   VIP   

I wouldn't recommend doing it without consulting services but I recently moved our master server to new hardware and changed the domain/ip. The master was configured as shortname so there weren't any expected issues. I had no issues with the deployment because the master server is registered as shortname, similar to yours.

Not sure what you mean by the CA Certificate deploys FQDN.

Since it seems like you've already tried the upgrade..

On the master server, what is the output when you run the following

nbcertcmd -displaycacertdetails
nbcertcmd -listcacertdetails
nbcertcmd -listcertdetails

Have you tried to deploy certs to any clients, if so what was the result?

View solution in original post

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is important is the content of the EMM database. If your Master is provisioned as FQDN and you'd like to change the domain bit, it's not a published procedure so there is no way for a customer to do it on their own, regardless if they agree or not, it is what it is.

However if FQDN is just an alias in the EMM then it is totally possible as long as you know what are you doing. The certificate for the master is a bit difficult as if it needs to be re-generated it's not a published procedure either to my knowledge and what is worst, perhaps 99% of peeps in support won't have a clue how to do it.

Marianne
Level 6
There is no other recommended way.

So, your question to Management should be:
What if we we go ahead and it breaks NBU?
What if Veritas Support cannot help to fix it?

4 REPLIES 4

Krutons
   VIP   

I wouldn't recommend doing it without consulting services but I recently moved our master server to new hardware and changed the domain/ip. The master was configured as shortname so there weren't any expected issues. I had no issues with the deployment because the master server is registered as shortname, similar to yours.

Not sure what you mean by the CA Certificate deploys FQDN.

Since it seems like you've already tried the upgrade..

On the master server, what is the output when you run the following

nbcertcmd -displaycacertdetails
nbcertcmd -listcacertdetails
nbcertcmd -listcertdetails

Have you tried to deploy certs to any clients, if so what was the result?

Mouse

What is important is the content of the EMM database. If your Master is provisioned as FQDN and you'd like to change the domain bit, it's not a published procedure so there is no way for a customer to do it on their own, regardless if they agree or not, it is what it is.

However if FQDN is just an alias in the EMM then it is totally possible as long as you know what are you doing. The certificate for the master is a bit difficult as if it needs to be re-generated it's not a published procedure either to my knowledge and what is worst, perhaps 99% of peeps in support won't have a clue how to do it.

Marianne
Level 6
There is no other recommended way.

So, your question to Management should be:
What if we we go ahead and it breaks NBU?
What if Veritas Support cannot help to fix it?

Since you have configured with Shortname, Technically there should be no issues. By default CA certificate files are registered with short name and FDQN names in Master. As long as certificate file for short name is good, you can make one more entry with new FDQN name for the certificate. you need to be worried if any of your clients are configured/registered certificates with Master FDQN name. Those clients need to be reregistered. If you are not confident and cant get professional services, please create a lab setup with VM and test it out.