Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons of Merge or Migrate of Catalog

jafferali
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I am working on a hardware refresh for one of our NBU domain. I would like to know the pros and cons of Catalog Migarion over Catalog Merge.

I would like to have a discussion thread which lists the the timeline, risks, overall implementation tasks etc...

Thanks

Jaffer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Jaffer

You probably want to reach out to your Symantec Partner manager to talk to them about either getting you onto the next Catman (catalog manipulation) training course, or to put you in touch with a partner or Symantec Consulting (depending on region) that can help you with this.

I am one of the main architects behind the current process and tools used by Symantec and its partners for catalog migrations and while everything you are talking about is possible it does require you to engage with a Certified Catalog Manipulation Consultant to answer your questions, and isn't really something that can be answered in an open forum.

SOME of the things that you must consider (the list is much longer, and the checks and answers would form part of the Site Survey Phase that all catalog Migrations should start with):-

Are you using catalog compression

Are you using Catalog Archiving

What is the size, 

What are the versions of the source NBU environment and the target environments, 

Do you use NBAC 

Is the master server also a media server with disk resource?

Are you looking to change host names.

Is there any clustering technologies involved

Is there any duplicate media ids 

Has any other manipulation taken place in the environment previously

Are there any pre-existing issues with backups / media / clients

After answering the above a Certified Consultant will be able to plan and determine the  next steps that may involve various remedial actions to prepare the environment for a successful migration to take place.  They can also then look to plan the engagement, which will be broken into 3 key tasks.

1) Pre-Manipulation

2) Manipulation

3) Post-Manipulation and Acceptance testing

A certified consultant will also provide a week of support to resolve any catalog related issues after the migration.

Kind Regards

Simon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

Please let us know what your intention is - what you have and where you need to be.

Migration and merge are 2 different concepts.

Migration include tasks such as:
- Migrate between different OS families
- Change master server hostname
- Migrate from non-cluster to clustered or the other way round.

Merge: 
Joining of 2 or more Master servers (including clients and media servers)

All of these can only be performed by an Certified Symantec Catalog Manipulation consultant.

This consultant will conduct a site visit and complete a pre-installation checklist.

Only after collecting all relevant info in above 2 tasks can the rest be determined (timeline, risks, overall implementation tasks).

Not something we can discuss in a public forum....

See:

How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

jafferali
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am hoping to achieve and move the catalog from my old solaris master server to VCS linux server, some old linux master to new linux master server with improved hardware. I am looking for a best way to do that. I would like to know the list of things which I need to consider before taking the decision.

Thanks,

Jaffer

Marianne
Level 6

You can do this yourself:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

If you want to merge 2 masters, you need Consulting...

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6

Hi Jaffer

You probably want to reach out to your Symantec Partner manager to talk to them about either getting you onto the next Catman (catalog manipulation) training course, or to put you in touch with a partner or Symantec Consulting (depending on region) that can help you with this.

I am one of the main architects behind the current process and tools used by Symantec and its partners for catalog migrations and while everything you are talking about is possible it does require you to engage with a Certified Catalog Manipulation Consultant to answer your questions, and isn't really something that can be answered in an open forum.

SOME of the things that you must consider (the list is much longer, and the checks and answers would form part of the Site Survey Phase that all catalog Migrations should start with):-

Are you using catalog compression

Are you using Catalog Archiving

What is the size, 

What are the versions of the source NBU environment and the target environments, 

Do you use NBAC 

Is the master server also a media server with disk resource?

Are you looking to change host names.

Is there any clustering technologies involved

Is there any duplicate media ids 

Has any other manipulation taken place in the environment previously

Are there any pre-existing issues with backups / media / clients

After answering the above a Certified Consultant will be able to plan and determine the  next steps that may involve various remedial actions to prepare the environment for a successful migration to take place.  They can also then look to plan the engagement, which will be broken into 3 key tasks.

1) Pre-Manipulation

2) Manipulation

3) Post-Manipulation and Acceptance testing

A certified consultant will also provide a week of support to resolve any catalog related issues after the migration.

Kind Regards

Simon

jafferali
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks Simon and Marianne for your valuable feedbacks. I really appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

Jaffer