cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting SQL Availability Groups with Netbackup 7.7.3

ash_stevens
Level 2

I have a setup at the moment, which has two Nodes at the Primary site and one node at the secondary site.

For example:

NODE A - test001

NODE B - test002

VIRTUAL CLUSTER NAME - testvc01

Three instances - testvc01, testvc02, testvc03

Three Availability Groups - AG01,AG02 and AG03

The backup policies I have setup are a legacy setup with bch files.

What I'm noticing when backing up the availability groups with the prefferedreplica set to true in the bch files, is that always wants to use the virtual cluster name (testvc01) as the client not instance name.

Is this normal when using the legacy backup policy setup?

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Disclaimer:
I do not have any experience with Availability Groups... just trying to help based on what I see in  NetBackup 7.7.2 for Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide .

NetBackup backs up the preferred replica, as determined by SQL Server.
NetBackup can only fully protect the AG environment if the backup policy includes
each node in the AG in the Clients list. Also, all batch files in the Backup
Selections list must exist on all the AG nodes.

Can you confirm that you have all node names in Clients tab of the policy? 
And that the script exists on all nodes? 

I am curious to know what is added to the script as client name when the batch file is created on each node as explained on page 130/131?

If all is configured as per the manual, all I can suggest further is to create log folders to troubleshoot.
On all SQL nodes: dbclient
On master: bprd (NBU must be restarted after this folder is created)

bprd log will show request received from IP address on SQL node and how this IP address is resolved to a hostname. 

To answer your questions marianne;

Can you confirm that you have all node names in Clients tab of the policy? No I only have the virtual cluster name and it is backing up the databases in the AG
And that the script exists on all nodes? the bch file exists on both nodes.

I am curious to know what is added to the script as client name when the batch file is created on each node as explained on page 130/131? virtual cluster name

Thanks for that Marianne.  I will do some more testing.