cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puredisk -MSDP [how to convert advance disk to puredisk on media server]

dpx_99
Level 4
Hi Experts,
On media server [NBU 7.7.3 windows 2008 R2 standard] , 5 logical volumes are configured.
I want to configure and utilize free space and make one volume for MSDP.
windows partitions or drives are configured in this way.
V: - advanced disk : 5TB => empty
W : advanced disk : 5TB => empty
x: advanced disk : 5TB => 12G used deduplication meta data
Y: Puredisk : MSDP : 5TB => 3TB used for backup
Z: advanced disk : 5TB => empty
In windows 2008 i'm not sure if i can merge the other volumes to Y: drive, Is there any way to make a one volume ? or do i need to de-stag backup to tape or other disk and delete and recreate one big partition.
should i delete all advanced disk from netbackup console and then from server?
Which approach is best ? please suggest.
Thank you
dpx
7 REPLIES 7

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

I would have duplicated to tapes whatever you have on MSDP - then removed all these STUs - adv and MSDP , then either on storage end created one big LUN and present it back to your server and formatted as one drive letter only. If this is not possible try with convering these volumes to dynamic disk and then do concatenation on them to have one big drive letter. They lay down there back MSDP....

@quebek, many thanks ,

just to understand well : first i need to duplicate existing data to tape or SAN disk and then remove basic disk from storage unit groups -> storage units -> remove all partitions on windows -> recreate one big partition ->add new storage unit as puredisk -> configure storage unit groups

Is that procedure OK ? or i miss something,

thanks,

dpx

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

Once duplicated backup images to the other location - you need to expire the copy on current storage units. Reconfigure policies, SLPs do not point to the STUs you are going to remove. Also you most probably want to remove the storage server for advanced disk - if this is not going to be used.

@quebek,

question: should destination disk be pure disk or it can be advanced or basic disk ?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Duplication destination? it can be any type of the STU... tape, advdisk or msdp etc...

Thanks ,

Question: how many puredisk , i can create on server ? i'm not using appliance but a media server [dell poweredge with sata disks] ,

Is it possible to have many puredisk on media server?

Dpx

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No - only one MSDP diskpool per media server. 

PLEASE take your time and read through NetBackup Deduplication Guide