Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QNAP NAS as Storage device for netbackup 7.6

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All

Hope you are doing fine.

I configured my master server (netbackup 7.6) on windows 2008 r2 server (virtual environment),and I would like to add my nas storage as a storage device for  backup my data .I lloked for any document describing such configuration but failed.Do any body used such configuration?

FYI My QNAP NAS not provisioned yet and I can create storage pool that contain volume or Lun.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at Service requirements in the post that I have linked above?

Add the path in Basic Disk Storage Unit as UNC path.

Next, change logon service for these 2 NBU services to a Domain user with full rights to the share:

• NetBackup Client Service

• NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34525  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

What type of backup storage? Basic or Advanced disk?

Any locally mounted file system or NFS/CIFS is supported with Basic or Advanced disk.

The Hardware Compatibility Guide says this about Advanced Disk:

The storage must be seen as local disk by the NetBackup Media Server.

Connection method of the disk array (parallel SCSI, Fibre Channel, iSCSI, etc) is not a determining factor for support, only that the storage is seen as local disk by the NetBackup
Media Server.
AdvancedDisk functionality is subject to all functional limitations as imposed either by the operating system or by the underlying file system.

Information about Basic Disk in Admin Guide I. 
You will notice that no particular disk manufacturer is explicitly qualified.

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

Thank you Marianne.

I prefer to use basic Disk.

A BasicDisk type storage unit consists of a directory on a locally-attached disk or a network-attached disk that is exposed as a file system to a NetBackup media server. NetBackup stores backup data in the specified directory.

My understanding :I will create avolume in my NAS and create a shared folder with read write permission.

Then from the master server (windows machine) map network drive?

or no need for this step and go forward to create basic storage and add the network- attached disk

Regards

Marianne

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

You are right .it was misstyped.

I do my test and back to you

Regards,

Marianne

Have you had a look at Service requirements in the post that I have linked above?

Add the path in Basic Disk Storage Unit as UNC path.

Next, change logon service for these 2 NBU services to a Domain user with full rights to the share:

• NetBackup Client Service

• NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34525  

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

Yes ofcourse . I will follow the requirements.

Thanks

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

Thank you Marianne.

It was very important to modify the mentioned services using domain admin with full previliges for shared unc path.Through configuration  I discovered that my account is not domain admin and i was unable to modify the services.now my account able to modify the services and the backup working fine.

Marianne