cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quad or Duel Processors ?

Ralph_Murphy
Level 2
Which Netbackup Master Server hardware configuration gives you the best though put for processing?

1.)Quad CPU at 2 GHZ
2.)Dual CPU at 3 GHZ and More Memory.

We currently have setup #1, I want to upgrade the server and I am investigating hardware configurations. Wanted to know if set #1 gives better though put or set # 2?
3 REPLIES 3

Ralph_Murphy
Level 2
Let me re-phrase the question for better in-sight.

The correct question is : Is Veritas Netbackup written to capitalize on the Quad processer hardware or the Dual processer hardware with more memory?

Mark_Kimball
Level 3
This isn't going to answer your question, but I thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents.

NetBackup isn't typically bound by the processor. It is certainly able to use multiple processors, but unless you're doing encryption or compression, you're not going to run into a problem with the CPU.

What you do want, though, is a box that can handle the I/O (if you're going to be doing backups on this box, instead of something like SSO). The new tape drives and disk to disk backups will tax even the greatest I/O powerhouse. You really need to pay attention to the characteristics of your box (how many PCI buses, how many HBAs, how many tape drives, etc.) to keep those tapes running at full throttle.

I'm quite sure the question of NetBackup CPU and I/O performance has been addressed a multitude of times in this forum.

Thanks,

Mark

Stumpr2
Level 6
don't forget memory for using the memory buffers.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump