cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query Builder - parameter is incorrect

gkman
Level 5

Hello,

I am reviewing a vmware policy we have, and when trying to access the client tab in the policy's properties the administrator console freezes for a long period of time, shows a message that "the request had timed out" and then freezes again some more.

finally when it unfreezes and comes up it shows the query we have for selecting the virtual machines being backed up- however when trying to edit the query in basic mode I get a error box saying "the parameter is incorrect". when I click the "test Query" button it selects the correct vm and worked the way it should.

all of this happens every single time I try accessing the client tab in the policy's properties (in that specific policy). I thought it is being caused because of an incorrect query, but going over it following this reference: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000068104#v46390236 it seems that it is not what that is causing the problem.

the query itself looks like the following in the advanced window:

vmware:/?filter=Cluster AnyOf "Cluster1","Cluster2" AND NOT Displayname AnyOf "vm1","vm2","vm3"

how can I fix this annoyance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

After Support -> Maintenance, and the 'override, then did you issue the command:

elevate

...to drop to the true root shell?

This is dangerous BTW.  If you don't know what you are doing, you could utterly ruin your appliance.  Dropping to the root shell is not a customer supported action.  You have been warned!  Be very very very careful.  I can't stress this enough.  If you have no expierence of Unix/Linux systems administration, then you really should NOT be doing this.  I can't say anymore than that.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

You can use nbdiscover to test your query https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO105181

Then use bpplinclude to add / modify the query.

sdo

Just a pure guess... maybe try this:

vmware:/?filter=(Cluster AnyOf "Cluster1","Cluster2" ) AND ( NOT ( Displayname AnyOf "vm1","vm2","vm3" ) )

Marianne
Level 6

Please share all relevant info:

Exact NBU version and patch level on master and backup host.

Server where you creating/modifying policy - master or media server?

Is UAC enabled on this server?
Have you tried to open NBU Console with 'Run as Administrator'?

gkman
Level 5

master version is 7.6.0.4

backup-host (also the media-server & appliance) is: 2.6.0.4

UAC is disabled and I have tried to 'run as administrator'

I posted a comment the other day- for some reason it didn't submit.. anyway what I wrote was that I created a new test policy and found out that the problem reproduced itself even though it did not have a query yet!

What I did was create a new vmware policy, set it to the same backup host, went into clients- and I managed to manually browse and select the virtual machines. However after choosing the "select automatically through query" the console froze for a long time popped a message "request timed out" (like described before with our actual policy). When it finally unfroze, the query builder wasn't functional and the fields were blank:

Capturef.PNG

RiaanBadenhorst

do you find the xml files containing the vcenter details under Veritas/NEtBackup/online_util/fi_Cntl/ in your backup host? Try remove them, and the refresh any vmware policiy so it can rebuild it or run bpVMutil 0 0 NONE

gkman
Level 5

how do I do this if my backup host is an appliance (clish interface)?

I would also like to backup this file in case something goes terribly wrong

Marianne
Level 6

You can drop-down to cmd on an Appliance and navigate same as normal Linux OS.

See Root SSH access to NBU Appliance 

gkman
Level 5

I feel really stupid for still having trouble with this, but please bare with me..

I managed to get into maintnaince mode, and following the link you posted I ran the /opt/Symantec/scspagent/IPS/sisipsoverride.sh, but it wall already disabled.

when trying to move the xml files related to the vcenter I got a message 'permission denied'. I then tried using sudo and got a prompt for the root password, but it wasn't the default password or any other passwords we use as root or admin passwords.

sdo

After Support -> Maintenance, and the 'override, then did you issue the command:

elevate

...to drop to the true root shell?

This is dangerous BTW.  If you don't know what you are doing, you could utterly ruin your appliance.  Dropping to the root shell is not a customer supported action.  You have been warned!  Be very very very careful.  I can't stress this enough.  If you have no expierence of Unix/Linux systems administration, then you really should NOT be doing this.  I can't say anymore than that.

Marianne
Level 6
How exactly are you trying to do this? " ... when trying to move the xml files related to the vcenter ..." I don't think this is possible.

gkman
Level 5

I was going to create a new folder and move all XML files related to our vcenter to that folder, but since a technician might be asked to come in anyway, I think I will listen to sdo's warning and wait in the meantime until a more convenient time.

in any case elevate was the command I had missed.

Thank you everyone for the help and patience