cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query Rule in VMware.

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

How the Query select the VM. Here is the scenario.

Cluster1 - 4 Host - 20 VMs ( VM1,VM2,VM3... VM25  )

Cluster2 - 5 Host - 25 VMs  ( VMB1,VMB2.... VMB25 )

Query is

First line  Cluster1 - Poweron VM

Second line Cluster2 - Poweron VM

Consider all VMs are in  powerd on state. How the selection of VM would be any procedure or random ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you actually run the "test query" in the tab on the policy you will see the order that they are resolved in.

It will generally be from the top down and then as they are listed in vCenter

So it should find all Cluster 1's and then Cluster 2's, each by in order by its GUID ID from what i can see.

If you look under the \Windows\Temp directory on your VMware backup host (assuming you are using Windows) you will see the VMUtil-* file created when the discovery ran to see exactly what it did and the machine order.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Check this technote if it helps and is what you are looking for

Examples for the NetBackup Query Builder

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000068098

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I think I missed this one for the order of operation

Order of operations in queries (precedence rules)

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000068125

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you actually run the "test query" in the tab on the policy you will see the order that they are resolved in.

It will generally be from the top down and then as they are listed in vCenter

So it should find all Cluster 1's and then Cluster 2's, each by in order by its GUID ID from what i can see.

If you look under the \Windows\Temp directory on your VMware backup host (assuming you are using Windows) you will see the VMUtil-* file created when the discovery ran to see exactly what it did and the machine order.

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. But the VMUtil-* File contains all the VM in the Vcenter.

How Can I find out which VM has been selected by the Query. 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As per earlier message .. use the "test query" button on the clients selection tab of the policy to make sure your selection is correct.

That will show the included clients at the top of the list and all others below .. each in GUID order i believe

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. I see the VMUtil* file contains all VM in the Vcenter with detailed manner.

Is any field in the file say the selecion of the VM. ( like Included / Excluded when we run Test Query ).

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The selections are usually in one of the xml file which lives on the VMware backup host under \veritas\netbackup\online_util\fi_cntl

But there are a few created during each Query with a huge amount of data in them ... and a set for each vcenter you have ... not sure which contains the "Incldued / Excluded" fields if any.

Best to check while a set of backups are running .. the xml file in question gets deleted after the backup run