cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on backing up data to cloud from netbackup

prudhviraj
Level 3

Hi All,

We are working on deployment of netbackup in Azure cloud environment to protect databases on servers in azure cloud.we wanted master and media roles in same virtual machine as number of clients we are protecting are very less

Our design requirements are to have auto image replication b/w sites  and deduplicated backups to be stored in cloud to save storage space

So to upload deduplicated data to cloud we should use cloud catalyst(phsyical appliance or virtual or RHEL 7.3 acting as media server) but cloud catalyst donot support AIR.

In this case to acheive our requirements  like enable deduplication to save storage space and have auto image replication  -Please suggest as i am stuck with below issues

1)cloud catalyst donot support auto image replication

2)without cloud catalyst if we use a normal msdp mediaserver ,data will be backed up without deduplication on to cloud.

Please suggest how can both requirements of ours like deduplication to cloud and AIR can be achieved.

If there is any documentation,please help us

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If Azure Managed Disks are too expensive for you, and remember that you do actually need quite performant disks anyway in order to run MSDP, then your only option is to forgoe MSDP and instead use an Azure based blob storage account as the target for a NetBackup Cloud Azure based storage unit (i.e. storage server + disk pool + disk volume).

I think maybe we can all sometimes get a little bit lost at the front end of decision making on the technical side of things.  Whereas in reality, cost is nearly always the prime factor.  Of course features and compatibility have a tole too, but usually at the end of teh day it comes down to cost.  IMO, it might be a good idea to do some detailed calculations and cost models of both options.  Don't forget the possible / likely (depending upon Azure storage type) additional charge for every 10,000 disk IO operations - and remember that MSDP is constantly doing :     compaction, rebasing, and CRC checks -    i.e. MSDP is doing background IO all the idle time, and I do mean *ALL* of the idle time - MSDP uses its quiet times for background IO.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo

AFAIK... NetBackup 8.2 does support AIR for these :

1) on prem MSDP -> AIR -> cloud MSDP

2) on prem MSDP -> AIR -> cloud CC

3) on prem CC      -> AIR -> cloud CC

we were informed that if we directly integrate azure blob storage with master/mediaserver vm,then backup wont be deduplicated on cloud storage. we were advised for below 2 options

1)Mount the blob storage as a local disk in master/mediaserver vm,which can be configured as msdp storage pool But Azure team mentioned that they cannot mount more than 4tb of blob storage and advised us to integrate blob storage to netbackup instead of mounting blob storage as local disk in master/media vm

2)if we directly integrate azure blob storage with master/mediaserver vm,then backup wont be deduplicated on cloud storage for that we advised that we may need to use cloud catalyst vm,but we see a limitation in online documentation that AIR is not supported in 8.1.1 Netbackup version for cloud catalyst storage server as source or taget Could you please help us to provide any step by step netbackup documentation for integration of netbackup with azure using cloud catalyst along with AIR.Any public forum link will also be helpful

sdo

1) I'm don't have an Azure contact - so I will assume that you are correct about point 1.

2a) It is now that you tell us that you are intending to use NetBackup v8.1.1 - but I have already pointed out that NetBackup v8.2 does support AIR for Cloud Catalyst for several sceanrios.  Is there a reason why you cannot deploy NetBackup v8.2 ?

2b) The step-by-step process can be pieced together from the official NetBackup documentation.

2c) Google will help you locate public forum posts across the internet.

3) You keep referring to blob storage.  I get how "blob" storage can be used as a target for a NetBackup "storage server + disk pool + disk volume" - but you want to run MSDP in the cloud, so why not use Azure Managed Disk (several of them) instead of blob storage ?

4) Have you thought about reaching out to your channel partner, or local Veritas pre-sales tech team ?

Hi,

2a)Yeah,i forgot to mention that we are using 8.1.1 during deployment.We have our other environments where we already deployed using 8.1.1 nbu version.we are using a capacity based license,so can we use the same license in our new environment if we deploy 8.1.1 version?

2b/2c)Thank you,the link you mentioned in post was helpful

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/103228346-135207307-0/v137285399-135207307

3)Yes we can use managed disk,but i believe because managed disk are more costly ,blob storage is considered

4)Soon will reach sales team.We dont plan to buy any additional license as we already have a capacity license purchased,i am not sure if they would help.

sdo

If Azure Managed Disks are too expensive for you, and remember that you do actually need quite performant disks anyway in order to run MSDP, then your only option is to forgoe MSDP and instead use an Azure based blob storage account as the target for a NetBackup Cloud Azure based storage unit (i.e. storage server + disk pool + disk volume).

I think maybe we can all sometimes get a little bit lost at the front end of decision making on the technical side of things.  Whereas in reality, cost is nearly always the prime factor.  Of course features and compatibility have a tole too, but usually at the end of teh day it comes down to cost.  IMO, it might be a good idea to do some detailed calculations and cost models of both options.  Don't forget the possible / likely (depending upon Azure storage type) additional charge for every 10,000 disk IO operations - and remember that MSDP is constantly doing :     compaction, rebasing, and CRC checks -    i.e. MSDP is doing background IO all the idle time, and I do mean *ALL* of the idle time - MSDP uses its quiet times for background IO.