Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query related to SLP

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi Folks,

I have NBU 7.6.0.2 on Win 2008 with appliance 5230 7.6.0.1.

Planing to create duplication job for DB backups (SQL/Oracle) using SLP. Now the question is , where i have to select the SLP ? In Policy attributes Storage Unit or in the Default Application Schdule(Override). Bcs for database backups, retention will apply dpends on the Default Application Schdule.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

and if you are saying that 2 automatic shedules and 1 Default Application Schedule in the policy.. the retenction in the Default Application Schedule, wil be applied for both weekly and Monthly jobs..

you need to have 2 Default Application Schedule even one for weekly automatic schedule and another for Monthly automatic scheudle to get your requirement fullfill... 

may be name it like Default Application-weekly and Default Application-Montly and update the same in the scripts.. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

No special consideration is needed for use of SLP in DB backus. Storage in Policy Attribute is applied to all the schedules in this policy unless overrided in Schedule Attributes. Unless you need multiple Application Backup schedules with multiple SLP requirement, Storage in Policy Attribute is enough.

RamNagalla

since it is a DB policy.... you definatly have the one retenction on the policy...

so go ahed and apply select the storage unit in policy --attributes.. and make sure no overwrite is selected in schedules..

Retenction will be applied as per the value Defined in SLP...

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Incase, i am using single policy and in that multiple schedules. One full schedule for weekly backups which will go to normal stu and other Full schedule for monthly which will got to SLP

How do i implement it. 

RamNagalla
You need to use. Overwrite policy storage unit option in the schedules ....one with normal STU..other with SLP

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Will that work out. Becasue i heared the backup retention for database backups will take from the Default Application Schedule and which is same as in Attributes STU.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have received more than enough info from expert users.
You now have to believe them and see for yourself.

Please select the SLP in the Attributes.

Then go to the schedule.

What do you see?

Because backup is now written to SLP, the schedule is no longer controlling retention.
SLP is controlling retention.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Marianne,

See my previos post carefully. I dont want to select SLP on Attributes. Bcs i have mutiple schdules on same policy. I want only one schedule that should apply SLP and for rest schedules normal stu.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nagalla has answered that as well. Please see his post above.

RamNagalla

Ajith Sankar,

you just need to apply the SLP on the Schedule -->overwrite policiy storage unit option.. since it is a Default Application Schedule.. you need to do the same over there tooo.. nothing different...

just have a try and see it your self... 

Deeps
Level 6

It is possible but this might become difficult to manage. If you have multiple schedules , and you want to override the storage unit for a specific schedule, create a separate 'Default Application Backup Schedule' with 'override policy storage selection' enabled. You need to keep the open window in this schedule to match the open window of the Automatic Backup Schedule  you want to make it work. If there is overlap of schedule , the schedule with higher frequency will take precedence.

DeepS

RamNagalla

and if you are saying that 2 automatic shedules and 1 Default Application Schedule in the policy.. the retenction in the Default Application Schedule, wil be applied for both weekly and Monthly jobs..

you need to have 2 Default Application Schedule even one for weekly automatic schedule and another for Monthly automatic scheudle to get your requirement fullfill... 

may be name it like Default Application-weekly and Default Application-Montly and update the same in the scripts.. 

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Yeah...Deeps and Nagalla..Thank You. This is the answer i was looking for. Bcs i was sure that with one Default Application schedule, anyone action is possile.