cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Exchange 2003 Backup

stivi65
Level 3
Hi We have a Netbackup 7.1 Master on a Windows 2008 Server. We have a Media Server with LTO3 Tapes from a VTL We have a Exchange 2003 Cluster that consist of: 2 node Windows 2003 and of course the Exchange 2003 on the virtual. I installed Netbackup Client on the Nodes and Backup the OS of them without problems. They send the Datas to the Media. I can also Backup the OS from the Virtual. Is that needed? Then i creade a Policy for the Exchange Backup Attribtes Then i creade a Exchange Policy: Policy Type: MS-Exchange-Server Snapshot: disabled Enable Granular recovery: Disabled Backup Selections Microsoft Information Store:\ This Backup works fine. With this i Backup the complete Exchange. Correct? I need this if exchange crash and i have to do a full restore of the whole Exchange. Correct? Now i need an other Backup for the Mailboxes. I ned the posibility to restore a single Mailbox or even a singe Mail. How can i do that? I found the following: I have to creade a Mailbox for Netbackup and enter this Mailbox in the Properties of the client. Then make a new Policy Attribtes Then i creade a Exchange Policy: Policy Type: MS-Exchange-Server Snapshot: disabled Enable Granular recovery: Disabled Backup Selections Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\ Microsoft Exchange Public Folders:\ Is that correct? Thanks for your Help Stivi
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

For the file system you should have 2 policies. One that has the physical nodes as clients and backs up the local drives (C and D?) pluse the Shadow Copy Components and then a second policy that has the virtual name and backs up the shared cluster disks.

Your exchaneg backup policy sounds fine - you do need this for a full recovery of an exchange server

To backup mailboxes you have 2 choices - either use the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\ (and the Public Folders if you wish - but in a new policy - not the same one as the Information Store) or you can use the Granular Option which takes a little more setting up and is only valid if you back up to disk.

All of the details and ideas for the Exchange Backup are in the Exchange Admin Guide:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3669

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

For the file system you should have 2 policies. One that has the physical nodes as clients and backs up the local drives (C and D?) pluse the Shadow Copy Components and then a second policy that has the virtual name and backs up the shared cluster disks.

Your exchaneg backup policy sounds fine - you do need this for a full recovery of an exchange server

To backup mailboxes you have 2 choices - either use the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\ (and the Public Folders if you wish - but in a new policy - not the same one as the Information Store) or you can use the Granular Option which takes a little more setting up and is only valid if you back up to disk.

All of the details and ideas for the Exchange Backup are in the Exchange Admin Guide:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3669

Hope this helps