Question about Encrypted Backup/Restore

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
According to the Netbackup Encryption System Admin Guide:

"2. For each file backed up:
7 REPLIES 7

IP_Freely
Level 4
The client needs enough space to hold the restored file.

paul_napoli
Level 2
I see what you're asking and I don't remember seeing it go to the Client's disk when we did our testing with the Encryption feature. I do know that encryption via Veritas is PAINFUL and will DOUBLE your backup time and peg your processor.

I'm not sure what your environment is like, but if backup time is an issue for you, consider an APPLIANCE that does encryption on the fly, and avoid software encryption at all costs.

Got a little off topic of disk space.... sorry, just trying to add some insight.

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
No worries - that is helpful. Over the past couple of weeks backup encryption has become a very popular topic around here. We will be doing a pilot to see how much of a performance hit there is.

Doug_Braden
Level 3
Partner
The ballpark figures are encryption overhead is that your required time to complete a backup will double and in some cases triple. A point to consider is whether the connectivity between the client and media server is 100BaseT or gig-E. If you are not running gig-E between the client and media server the performance hit will not be noticed as much since the constraining resource is the network bandwidth. If you do have gig-E the performance hit will be noticeable.

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
Ping on this; I still need an answer to my original question: How much extra disk space am I going to need to do an encrypted backup?

IP_Freely
Level 4
I am not sure about the client needing all that space. I have a couple bpcrypt clients that are 4TB datasets, I know they don't have that much free space as well. I do use checkpoints, so maybe they are spolled up in 15 minute chunks. Have a look at the Decru dtafort. That is what I am migrating to. Software encryption is way slow.

Good luck

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
Thanks!