cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about backup a VM that has Oracle DB

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello;

I have a question regarding a Vmware backup of a VM that has Oracle databases.

is there any harm of doing a backup of this VM? the snapshot won't "hurt" oracle's databases?

and if I want to backup those databases, do I have do install NetBackup client on that VM and do another Policy (type= Oracle Intelligent Policy) to backup those Oracle?

What are the best practices please?.

Thanks,

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

on Windows Oracle servers, service called Oracle VSS Writer is installed with Oracle SW. When you are doing VMware snapshots, this writer is also called and puts Oracle into consistent state for the time of snapshot. When you search Oracle logs, you should find messages about this state in them, for the time of snapshot (ALTER DATAFILE XXX BEGIN/END BACKUP)

But the purpose of this is rather related to consistency during snapshots, I would not take it as Oracle data backup - NetBackup is not "Oracle aware" during VMware backups, thus it is not cataloguing any Oracle metadata.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified

From personal experience, I've had Oracle DBAs say it can affect the DB when taking a VM snapshot (cause it to crash or similar) so i have always just done an NBU Client backup to save any hassle.

Further to @Nick_Morris comment, I have also seen this happen on various database servers.

One way to avoid this occurring is to enable the "Perform snapshot without quiescing if quiesced snapshot fails" option in the Advanced options in the VMware tab for the policy.

In addition, I would also look to exclude the VMDK files that host the database files.

The above of course assumes you are doing agent based Oracle backups of the relevant databases.

7 REPLIES 7

Krutons
   VIP   

To properly protect the database, you'd need to install the client and do an Oracle backup of the database.

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hi @Krutons , thank your for your reply,

I am aware of that actually, my main question is, is there any harm to oracle databases of doing a snapshot of that VM ?

I have actually two scenarios:

1st: let's say that I don't care about the oracle databases, I just want to backup that VM through VMware Backup, would the snapshot "disturb" oracle's databases?

2nd: let's say that I want to backup the oracle's databases and do a Vmware Backup, in this case I know that I have to configure 2 Policies :

- VMware Policy for the VM backup

- OIP for Oracle databases.

If my VMware policy is executed and the snapshot is in progress, In this case I can't run (or schedule) the OIP to start at this same time right? because the snapshot is still in progress and oracle's data are not in a consistent state?

I'm not 100% sure about Oracle on VM's, but I think the genreal rule of thumb is "don't snapshot database servers".

For my environment, we use the database agent where applicable and then for OS backups we use the "Inside the Matrix" approach and treat the client like it's a real physical server.

$0.02

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

on Windows Oracle servers, service called Oracle VSS Writer is installed with Oracle SW. When you are doing VMware snapshots, this writer is also called and puts Oracle into consistent state for the time of snapshot. When you search Oracle logs, you should find messages about this state in them, for the time of snapshot (ALTER DATAFILE XXX BEGIN/END BACKUP)

But the purpose of this is rather related to consistency during snapshots, I would not take it as Oracle data backup - NetBackup is not "Oracle aware" during VMware backups, thus it is not cataloguing any Oracle metadata.

Regards

Michal

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified

From personal experience, I've had Oracle DBAs say it can affect the DB when taking a VM snapshot (cause it to crash or similar) so i have always just done an NBU Client backup to save any hassle.

Further to @Nick_Morris comment, I have also seen this happen on various database servers.

One way to avoid this occurring is to enable the "Perform snapshot without quiescing if quiesced snapshot fails" option in the Advanced options in the VMware tab for the policy.

In addition, I would also look to exclude the VMDK files that host the database files.

The above of course assumes you are doing agent based Oracle backups of the relevant databases.

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello Guys,

Thanks all for your replies.

So you confirmed what I had in mind " snapshot of a VM that has oracle databases is not a harmless action" even with the oracle VSS for windows VMs." there is always a risk..

Thanks again :)