cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about duplicate copies

Greg_Pagan
Level 4
My environment is NBU 6.0 SP4 on a Windows 2003 SP1 Standard Edition server.  My clients are Windows 2003 Servers, and my SQLServers are 2000 SP4.

Does anyone know if there is an automated way on an automatic copy of a SQLServer backup to make a duplicate copy of the backup image? 

On my non-SQL policies, I use Full Backup and I can stage the backup first to disk and then to tape.

I do not get that option for SQL Backups when I use Automated, only Application backups. 

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Mojo_Magix
Level 3
Hi Greg.

On which schedule TYPE are you trying to duplicate the image? You should see an "Automatic Backup" schedule and an "Application Backup" schedule. The Automatic Backup is really nothing more than a timer. The Application Backup is the "real" one that governs retention level, etc. You should be able to configure multiple copies under the Application Backup schedule. If not, can you further define "I do not get that option" ?

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
If you have licence for "Inline Tape Copy" you can configure multiple copies in schedule attributes to have multiple copies for your backup image. Alternatively, you can use Vault to create duplicate copy.

Default Application schedule you see in your policy is the SQL backup schedule

AKopel
Level 6
Inline Tape Copy is included in the Base NBU 6.0 product. No licence needed :)

Greg_Pagan
Level 4
First, I must appoligize for not posting back sooner.  My time has been taken up with a failed array and getting the actual reason for the failure diagosed and then the correct parts ordered and installed.  Luckily only small parts of the array were actually lost so it was not a nightmare to restore it back to running condition.

I did read all the suggestions and followed the suggestion that I look at using Application backups rather than automated backups to get the option to do two copies.

Here is what I set up:

Policy is set up as a type MS SQL Server
On the schedule tab I selected Application Backup in the type of Backup
I also check multiple copies and do my configuration there.
On the schedule tab I select a start window of 6:00 PM Saturday to 6:00 AM Monday.

My assumption  here is that all the client that is part of this schedule will automatically Smiley Surprised start running sometime during that windows.  Is that correct or is there something else I need to do to make the policy run automatically.

Thanks for your posts they were most helpful.

Greg

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
For scheduling from NetBackup side, you need to update Full/Differential schedule. In case, where you use DB agents these Full/Differential schedules execute the script/bch file defined, which calls for the default application schedule. So, in ideal condition you keep 24 hrs window for Default Application schedule unless you want to restrict DB backup initiated from client side at certain times.

All of the clients in particular policy, where you have updated the schedule will use this schedule at the given time as long as frequency set in policy allow them to run the backup at that time.