cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question "Vault Profiles" Best Strategy.

Tim_Dile
Level 5
Hi All,

Replies welcome as implementation this on Wednesday.

We have Daily / Weekly / Monthly & Yearly pools and only want vault to manage the offsite tape movements (basically everything goes offsite inc dailys) no duplication required (nothing agreed as yet), and will add a Catalog backup to it.

Would it be best to create one profile for each or use just one profile for the lot? I can’t see any advantages to running them on individual profiles.

Thanks,
Tim
7 REPLIES 7

patrickkuah
Level 6
In my environment, i make it simple by creating only 1 vault profile.
One thing to take note is that vaulting required all backup ended with status 0 or else the vaulting will fail. so one advantages i see for creating individual profiles is that if one yearly policy ended with status 1, it will not affect other policies.

cheer!!
patrick

Tim_Dile
Level 5
Thanks, Patrick.

They now want to duplicate a few clients. So a single profile will have to be created.

If using deferred ejects how does one eject them all using a vault policy?

Tim

Tim_Dile
Level 5
Also, does one select all reports. We don't use emailing so it will have to go to a Directory. Are they deleted after the tapes are due back?...

I need to ensure that the Tapes Coming on-site report works correctly as we will be requesting tapes from the vendor using this report.

Tim

patrickkuah
Level 6
For deferred eject, you have to create a new vault policy and in the backup selection tab, enter "vlteject -vault vaultname -eject -report" you can schedule the eject to trigger at certain timing by using the policy schedule. You can eject using profile name by changing -vault to -profile.

I'm not too sure whether will the reports be deleted once the tapes are back from offsite vendor but i believe will not be deleted. We are using email for the reports.

In my environment, we are using deferred eject too because one of our libraries have only 1 mailslot.
We have two vault policies created, one is running "vltrun" command to duplicate catalog tape and the other is "vlteject" command (the one i mentioned above) to eject copy2 tapes.

cheers!!!
patrick

David_Kies
Level 4
Certified
I will not address the strategy part of your question, because those can be wildly varied depending on your environment. The reports are not deleted if you opt to pipe them to a directory post eject, whether deferred or immediate. The \vaultname\SIDxxx folders that actually contain the original reports, as well as other data, are kept for thirty days by default.

The dupe question, since you have vault you obviously have the option to do inline tape copy. If you have tape devices available at the time the policy that contains the clients you want to duplicate runs, then I would configure the Multiple copies to different pools.

Simplistic example:
Copy 1 to Policyname-onsite-pool
Copy 2 to Policyname-vault-pool

Then in your vault profile add Policyname-vault-pool under the eject tab. This will save that overhead of the vaultrun performing to bpdupe.

Again, it all depends on where you have time available and what tape resources are available.

Tim_Dile
Level 5
Thanks guys I figured it out in the end and did it as Patrick mentioned.

As for the media coming on site report. I don't think its working correctly. For each Sid that ran say M - F. Instead of running the media on site report for the last Sid - I have to run it for each Sid to tell me which tapes are due back. Surely this cannot be correct and the last Sid should display them all? Any ideas…

Tim

patrickkuah
Level 6
Here the extract from the command guide

-sessionid id The numeric session ID.
If the -profile, -robot, or -vault option is specified but the -session id option is not specified, vlteject will operate on all sessions for the specified profile, robot, or vault.

So you sure leave out the -sessionid, the -profile will do ;)

cheeers!!!
patrick