cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding deassigning the old volume

Satish_Kumar_3
Level 4
Hi

I want to deassign two volumes and give it a new volume name and assign each volume to seperate pool. I used the vmquery -deassign mediaid volpool status command. I deleted the volume using the vmdelete command.
I created a new volume group, volume pool and assigned a volume by creating a volume to the volume pool. I want netbackup to recognize the old tapes with the new volume name. I tried bplabel command. Please help me because inthe process it is not able to mount the tapes.

Regards
Satish
6 REPLIES 6

Stumpr2
Level 6
> I created a new volume group,

Why did you create a new volume group? The library should have only one volume group for each media type. The purpose of volume group is for location and type. It tells NetBackup what kind of media and which library the media is located in. You may not be able to mount the tape if the the volume group has been changed.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

MayurS
Level 6
What Moral i could sense that you want to achieve by this is that you have 2 tapes with some label in the same pool and now you want to assign them with new labels and different pool.

Then do it the simpler way
1) Change the new label as u desire.
Insert the tapes in the library. Netbackup will read the new Label a.k.a Barcode. Netbackup wil think you have inserted a New volume and treat it as EMPTY and assign it a Name as per the label on it..
2) Assign them to the pools that you want...!!!
Mission accomplised.

I hope i understood your question right.

MayurS
Level 6
Also if you want to save the disk space that the images that are linked to these tapes. Then expire these tapes with the old lables using the bpexpdate command.

Satish_Kumar_3
Level 4
Mayur,

I wanted to reuse the tape on which initially a volume was created and assigned to a volumepool, to a another volume pool. When I create a volume and assign it to the volume pool the tape is not mounting. I then gave a bplabel command , the tape is not mounting. Pls bear with me to ask this silly questions, I am learning. Pls help.

Regards
Satish

MayurS
Level 6
Never think so!! its pleasure..i also learn a lot from such queries

Have changed the physical label of the tape...Physical label ?
The tape will not mount if the Volume Group assigned is different than the drives in the library.Message was edited by:
Mayur Shinde

Satish_Kumar_3
Level 4
Here's how I did it.

1. Deassigned the volume from the currently assigned volume pool
vmquery -deassignbyid A00000 3 0x0
2. Inserted the tape into the drive
3. ran the vmoprcmd -d to check the label on the tape which was actually A0000
4.Because the images are not important to me I expired the images :bpexpdate -m A00000 -d 0
5. Chk the image database using bpimmedia -mediaid A00000 -U
6. Chked the media DB using bpmedialist
7.Volume DB : vmquery -m A00000
8. Upon confirmation I created a new volume pool
9. Then labelled hte tape using
bplabel -m ORA001 -d hcart2 -p oracle -n IBMULTRIUM-TD20

Thats it ..it works.

Regards
SaTiSh KuMaR