cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about media server itself backup

sunlover
Level 3

(1) Do media servers need to be backed up? I think so because it will be time-consuming to restore a media server when it's crashed.
(2) How to backup media servers? just like backup regular clients?
(3) Backup schedules for media server backup? Try not to overlap with client backup windows?
(4) To backup a media server, does NetBackup Client need to be installed on the media server? I think the answer is not since clinet software is installed in the server software that is installed on the media server already.

Please make your valuable comments. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

BMR will also re-install Windows and NetBackup and will also be time-consuming.
You will need to test this  - preferrably in a dedicated test environment.
Bear in mind that only system disks should be included in the BMR policy - not the MSDP drive. 

Media server config is stored on the Master server in EMM database.
Once media server is up and running, you should only need to reactivate the media server in the console. 

You seem to have major concerns about Media Server protection - hopefully your Master Server is properly protected....

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Krutons
   VIP   

In my experience if you want to back them up, it would be simply as a file system backup with the NetBackup client installed. I schedule my media servers to be backed up during the day when the least amount of backups are running.

The media server software includes the netbackup client.

Marianne
1) What is on media server that needs to be backed up? NBU device config is stored in EMM database on master server.
Only if media server is MSDP server do you need to backup the MSDP database.
From NBU point of view, no other data is stored on media server.
2) Instructions for MSDP database backup in Dedupe manual.
3) Correct. Especially when MSDP media server.
4) Client software is included in server software.

Thank you both for your replies.

Is the following statement true? -- Even if we have backed up the media server, we still cannot restore it when crashed from its backup because there is no functioning media server. (We have many sites and each site has its own media server)

What is the quickest way to resume a crashed media server? Is the following procedure ok?
a. Reinstall Windows OS.
b. Reinstall NetBackup 7x Media Server.
c. Reallocate network iSCSI drive as backup storage.
d. Reconfigure data deduplication by setting up disk storage server and disk pool.
e. Reconnect the backup media server to the backup master server.

Marianne

It looks like that we have to re-build the media server if it's crashed. Is it true? Is there a way to restore it from backup instead of rebuilding it from scratch?

Thanks.

Marianne

If 're-build the media server' means install OS, install NBU, then the answer is yes.

Unless you have a BMR backup of this media server to another server (excluding Dedupe volume).

Hi Marianne,

My '
re-build the media server' means to re-install Windows, NetBackup and to re-configure the media server from scratch. That will be time-consuming.

Having a BMR backup of this media server to another server (boot server) will save some time for media server restoration, right?

Thank you!

Marianne

BMR will also re-install Windows and NetBackup and will also be time-consuming.
You will need to test this  - preferrably in a dedicated test environment.
Bear in mind that only system disks should be included in the BMR policy - not the MSDP drive. 

Media server config is stored on the Master server in EMM database.
Once media server is up and running, you should only need to reactivate the media server in the console. 

You seem to have major concerns about Media Server protection - hopefully your Master Server is properly protected....

Thank you much! It's clear now.