Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick VSS question

AlGon
Level 6

Netbackup 7.1

Windows 20003 Server

Does netbackup still use VSS to backup the shadow copy components even if it's switched off in the host properties setting for that client?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I believe VSS is used on WIndows 2003 and 2008 when backing up the Shadow Copy Components regardless of whether snapshots are used and regardless of it Open File backups are disabled for the client

It is the only way of backing it up and so it uses VSS to do it what ever your settings

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Sammeer_Pednega
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi,

It totally depends what option has been selected in the Netbackup Policy, Attributes tab for  Perform Snapshot backups.

If the Snapshot client option is set to Auto or VSS then it will use VSS as preferred snapshot method even if it is switched off in host properties for that server.

Regards

Sammeer

AlGon
Level 6

Thanks for the response.

This client is in a standard MS-Windows policy.  The snapshot client option hasn't been enabled in the policy.

Sammeer_Pednega
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi,

In that case it shouldnt use VSS.

Can you send me the detailed status of the same policy?

Regards

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I believe VSS is used on WIndows 2003 and 2008 when backing up the Shadow Copy Components regardless of whether snapshots are used and regardless of it Open File backups are disabled for the client

It is the only way of backing it up and so it uses VSS to do it what ever your settings

Hope this helps

Sammeer_Pednega
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi

That is correct, since Shadowcopy components in windows 2003 onwards Netbackup uses VSS by default to backup.  This is the same for BackupExec as well

It does not matter if you use VSS or not as long as you have included shadcopy in the backup selections it will use VSS

Regards

AlGon
Level 6

Thanks Mark, that makes sense.

AlGon
Level 6

Thanks Sammeer.

Sammeer_Pednega
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Kindly mark my last comment as a solution.

Regards