cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question on licencing

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi,

I am currently running NBU7.1.0.2 and am looking at the upgrade path to 7.5 and then further to 7.6 on its release, would these be standard upgrades from NBU7.x and run on the 7.1 licences that I already have or would these be new licences for the products?

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Generally you can upgrade whilst using your earlier licenses

However, when new features appear in a release these features only get activated when the up to date license key is added to the system during the installation.

A good exapmple of this is when BMR was merged into NetBackup - it needed an up to date client license key for this to actually appear in the Admin Console.

With major releases such as 7.5 you would expect this may again be the case.

I always recomend that upon an upgrade, when you get to the last screen (or license option on Unix) that all new version keys are added to ensure you have everything you need.

As long as you are in maintenance then it is generally pretty easy to get you new keys via the licensing portal - just view an existing license and click the Upgrade key - this also then allows you to download the software which you cannot do without having something at that version in the portal.

So in summary my advice is to upgrade and install all new keys when performing an upgrade

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Generally you can upgrade whilst using your earlier licenses

However, when new features appear in a release these features only get activated when the up to date license key is added to the system during the installation.

A good exapmple of this is when BMR was merged into NetBackup - it needed an up to date client license key for this to actually appear in the Admin Console.

With major releases such as 7.5 you would expect this may again be the case.

I always recomend that upon an upgrade, when you get to the last screen (or license option on Unix) that all new version keys are added to ensure you have everything you need.

As long as you are in maintenance then it is generally pretty easy to get you new keys via the licensing portal - just view an existing license and click the Upgrade key - this also then allows you to download the software which you cannot do without having something at that version in the portal.

So in summary my advice is to upgrade and install all new keys when performing an upgrade

Hope this helps

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the detailed response, I will certainly update the licence along with the software once 7.5 is released.

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference