cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW partition on windows server.

Guinch
Level 3
We have a sever that hosts an app that uses a RAW disk to store data. The standard windows filesystem "all local drives" policy fails as it cannot access the drive. Even the OS complains about the drive not being accessible. It looks like taking a image of a RAW partition isn't possible: P687 of Symantec NetBackupTM Administrator's Guide, Volume I - "NetBackup does not support raw partition backups on unformatted partitions." I was just looking for confirmation that am understanding this correctly and that there are no clever work a rounds that anybody has worked out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I think that you will find the answer from the App storing data in this partition. If the App can write to it, it should know how to back it up. For example, Oracle on a Unix raw partition can backup the data with rman.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

HOWTO34724 gives a little more information, but the partition will still need to be formated.

Is this partition on a physical disk or external storage? If external you might be able to something with that.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I think that you will find the answer from the App storing data in this partition. If the App can write to it, it should know how to back it up. For example, Oracle on a Unix raw partition can backup the data with rman.

Guinch
Level 3

Thanks Guys.

I'll dig a little deeper and see if I can find out exactly what is being written to this disk and take it from there.

Thanks again for your help.