cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: attributes

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Hi Team,

I have changed the attributes of a policy like default volume pool to another volume pool.

when I did that and perform the daily routine automated differentail backuaps, instead of the differential it performed full backups.

I was wondering does it happen like that?.

If yes what would be the solution to bring it back on to regular differential backups rather than full backups?.

Thanks

Bharath

10 REPLIES 10

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Changing policy volume pooldoes not affect the behavior of incremental backups. This might came from other reasons. Check any backup of same policy have existed at that time. If no backups, differential backup will work like full.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

If you make a change to backup policy (volume pool, backup window, encryption ... whatever) then the very first backup since the change will be always a full backup.

Against all the myths and beliefs that people have, this is simply a fact.

But the subsequent differential backups will be differential - of course unless you change the policy's attribute again!

Abe

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

I don't think I explained it well in my last comment.

What I mean is, the very first backup (regardless of from differential schedule or full schedule) since a policy is modified, will backup all the data in the policy selection list, working as if it is from a full backup schedule.

(Just tested it few minutes ago, in my NBU7 lab environment)

A

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I think the backup images can span in to multiple tapes but within the Volume pool tapes. So  the differential backup locate its full backup which can be in the different tapes but those tapes should be in the same volume pool. if the full backup does not find in the same volume Netbackup imagine that there is no full backup

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Yes Abesama,

I think what you said is true, I changed attributes for full backups not to a differential backups in a policy.

But the backups are perfroming as a full backups.

But I feel I need to start the backups (differential) manually until we get a full backup schedule again in the weekend ( that's what we are scheduled for full backups).

from then it will be as usual

coming to zahid answer,

yes that's true but I have not changed the volume pool (differential) or moved the volumes to other pools, when you do that it will look for the full backups in that assigned policy volume pool if it couldn't find it will perform full again ( it happened to me once).

Thanks

Bharath

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hello Bharath

as you said instead of the differential it performed full backups.

You mean its always happening ? or just it happen one time ?

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

once it is performed the full backup of the server it went to differential and took lesst time

(i.e., it happened once for every server)

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

"But the backups are performing as a full backups. "

We need to clarify what this means.

We are assuming that you have 2 schedules.  One full, and one differential.

So I am interrupting what you are says as - the Differential Schedule ran, but backed up as much data as a full backup.   Is this a correct interruption of what happened.

(or did the full Schedule run instead of the  differential?)

Will_Restore
Level 6

wink

Will_Restore
Level 6

Something messes with the STREAMS file on the Windows client though you wouldn't think so.  Do not recall ever seeing this trouble with Unix client.