cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: netbackup restore error

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Hi Team,

I got an error while restoring the files to a location in netbackup, but the files have been restored to the location.

error is :

the restore failed to recover the requested files(5)

thanks if you could reply to this issue

Bharath

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Restores do not seem to display exit codes other than 0 (successful) and 5 (failed). Since it did not restore 100% successful, the end result is a 5...

***** EDIT *****

One more thing - legacy logs do not exist by default - you need to create the directories under netbackup/logs. NBU on Master needs to be restarted for bprd to start logging. No restart is necessary for other logs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

vranade
Level 2

Please check the restore location if it is full or may be having some permission issue

Marianne

Status 5 is a generic error. You need to look at logs to see why it's failing.

Explanation of Status 5:

C:\> bperror -S 5 -r
the restore failed to recover the requested files
Errors caused the restore to fail.

Perform the following items in the order presented:
* Ensure that the client's server list contains entries for the master server and any media servers that can be used during a backup or restore.
* Examine the status or the progress log on the client for messages on why the restore failed. Also, check the All Log Entries report on the server.
* Check ownership and permission on directories where files are restored.
* Correct the problems that you find and retry the restore.
* If you tried to restore files from a FlashBackup backup after a NetBackup patch was installed, the patch may not have been installed properly. Follow the installation instructions in the patch README file and make sure the libsfr.so file is copied as instructed.

The 1st log to look at is the View Status progress log in the BAR GUI.

Sometimes information in Activity Monitor Details tab will also give an indication.

If none of these help, you will need the following logs:

On Master: bprd

On media server: bpbrm and bptm

On client: bpcd and tar

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

hi,

Ensure that this destination restore path is typed with the proper path and syntax.
  • UNIX example: /usr/restore
  • Windows example: c:\restore

Ensure that the destination client name has been specified properly in the Backup,
Archive, and Restore console

• Java console: 
    Click Actions –> Specify NetBackup Machines -> Destination Client
  • Windows console: Click File –> Specify NetBackup Machines -> Destination Client

Verify that the NetBackup Master and Media Server’s hostname are in the server list (bp.conf) on
the Client/media/master.

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Thanks for your replies,

I checked the servername, medianame in client and master(media) servers in bp.conf and it looks good.

and let me be clear......  as I said I could find the restored files in the specified location after restore and log file shows restoring files progress (as below).

but..... at the end of the restore it is giving me the error (see at the bottom). Please also find the doc attached for complete log file.

Hi Marianne  I could not find the log files for bprd,bpbrm,bptm,bpcd,tar ..... but...... i have some log files in the location (/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/root/logs) and I am listing the log file below

please give me the suggestions why it is giving error even though I could see the restored files?.

Thanks

Bharath

/home/vpadman/restore/sysweb1/network-scripts/ifup-tunnel

12:28:25 (103.001) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post

12:28:25 (103.001) Changed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post to /home/vpadman/restore/sysweb1/network-scripts/ifup-post

12:28:25 (103.001) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-plusb

12:28:25 (103.001) Changed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-plusb to /home/vpadman/restore/sysweb1/network-scripts/ifup-plusb

12:28:25 (103.001) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net.hotplug

12:28:25 (103.001) Changed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net.hotplug to /home/vpadman/restore/sysweb1/network-scripts/net.hotplug

12:28:25 (103.001) /etc/sysconfig/console/

12:28:25 (103.001) Changed /etc/sysconfig/console/ to /home/vpadman/restore/sysweb1/console/

12:28:25 (103.001) INF - TAR EXITING WITH STATUS = 0

12:28:25 (103.001) INF - TAR RESTORED 126 OF 127 FILES SUCCESSFULLY

12:28:25 (103.001) INF - TAR KEPT 0 EXISTING FILES

12:28:25 (103.001) INF - TAR PARTIALLY RESTORED 0 FILES

12:28:26 (103.001) Status of restore from image created Wed 15 Sep 2010 09:59:27 PM CDT = the restore failed to recover the requested files

12:28:26 (103.xxx) INF - Status = the restore failed to recover the requested files.

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

And...

it is saying

INF - TAR RESTORED 126 OF 127 FILES SUCCESSFULLY

so does it fail to restore only one file?..

Thanks

Bharath

alazanowski
Level 5

So it seemed to have restored 126 out of 127 files, so not sure why its not doing an error code 1. You need to find out what the 127th file is, and find out if its not being over-written, if its possibly corrupt, or perhaps a file that shouldn't have been backed up to begin with.

Unfortunately an error code 5 is very vague.

Will_Restore
Level 6

12:28:25 (103.001) Changed /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf to /home/vpadman/restore/sysweb1/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf

12:28:25 (103.001) Could not link /home/vpadman/restore/sysweb1/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf -> /etc/resolv.conf. Errno = 18: Invalid cross-device link

You cannot restore links across partitions like that.  Uncheck Rename hard links and Rename soft links and your trouble should go away.

Marianne

Restores do not seem to display exit codes other than 0 (successful) and 5 (failed). Since it did not restore 100% successful, the end result is a 5...

***** EDIT *****

One more thing - legacy logs do not exist by default - you need to create the directories under netbackup/logs. NBU on Master needs to be restarted for bprd to start logging. No restart is necessary for other logs.

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Hi friends thanks for your responses!!

Hi Wrobbins

I have tried what you recommend i unchecked rename hard link and soft link it gave me more errors (121 of 127 files restored), then I unchecked rename softlink only then it still showing me the old error (126 of 127 files are restored)

thanks

bharath