cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: new tapes are no showing

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Hi Team,

i have installed new tapes in my robot quantumsuperloader3 and when I look at in the NBU console i couldnt see those new tapes I still see some GB used in the volume panel.

i started inventory and also media manager device daemon, but still no luck!.

If you could tell me what would need to do if you replace old tapes with the new ones.

Thanks

Bharath

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Does your robot have a barcode reader? If so, please only stick barcode labels on tapes that do not have valid, unexpired backups on them (Time Assigned field must be blank).

If, for example, you stick label ABC001 on a tape that was used as A00001, NBU will think it is a brand-new, unassigned tape and will try to use it as such. When the tape is mounted, NBU will read the internal label and will freeze the tape due to the mismatch.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

nbuno
Level 6

Bharath,

Your issue is little unclear..what do u mean by "Some GB used in the volume panel"

Also ,what version of NBU are u using ?

--

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Ok,

I am using the NBU 6.5.4 on RHEL (5.5) and see the tapes in attached file.

even though we install new tapes in that slots still showing the numbers in the KB column (which is for the data backed up on the tape)

so, should I run any command to update and we also install new tapes in other slots those are also not showing up in the NBU volumes panel!!!

thanks for quick response

Bharath

Marianne
Level 6

Please confirm the 'Inventory' steps that you have taken:

If you select "Show contents" and "Start" - does it display the new media in the robot?

What happens when you select "Update volume configuration"  and "Start" ?

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

you are helpful, I did update volume configuration ant start, the new tapes showd up

now the slot no's which were used to show for old tapes (old tapes are A00001-7) assigned to new tapes as slot 1- 8, for old tapes slot no's are not showing up!!.

" robot control host" is not showing up for old tapes, "robot type" is different,

why all this............... is different as they are in the same robot ?.

help me out I need to take full backup tonight so I need clarification on this

Thanks

Bharath

Marianne
Level 6

Are you perhaps using a robot without a barcode reader or tapes without barcodes?

What happens when you do "Show contents" in the Inventory GUI? Do the tapes show up as ???????

If that is the case, you should not use 'normal' inventory. NBU will assume all tapes in the robot are new. There is another utility that does a 'physical inventory' called vmphyinv.

Extract from Admin Guide I:

For robots without barcode readers or for volumes without readable barcodes, the new media IDs are based on a media ID prefix that you specify. You should consider using the vmphyinv physical inventory utility to add the media. The vmphyinv physical inventory utility inventories nonbarcoded tape libraries as follows:
■ Mounts each tape
■ Reads the tape header
■ Identifies the tape in each slot
■ Updates the NetBackup volume configuration
For more information, see “Using the physical inventory utility” on page 572.

Example:
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmphyinv -rn 0

(More options in the NBU commands manual)

Marianne
Level 6

Bharath, did you manage to get this resolved?

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

As Marianne said. I think that you may be using Robot without barcode reader or tapes cartridges without barcodes.

Few things i would like to add:

When we do inventory

An inventory is a logcal operation. After you physically add, move, or remove volumes in a robot, use a robot inventory to update the NetBackup volume configuration.

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

Thanks Marianne, Zahid

yes I am using the tapes without the barcodes (old tapes) but new tapes my boss installed had barcodes, I did the vmphyinv inventory and everything back to normal.

I got the new media IDs still in my volume pane but as I dont have those tapes in my robot I have only 16 tapes in robot but it is showing more than 16 tapes.

how can I get rid off those new media IDs from my volume pane

see the attachment for more details

Thanks

Bharath

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

old tapes are (A00001-A00008) which I have in the robot in the slots,

new media IDs (A00009-A000013) which are not really exist in the robot but showin here.

Thanks

Bharath

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Do you really want to get rid of them as some are assigned & have valid images (backups) on them.

Or is it that you now want to put barcodes or labels on them like the others?

Marianne
Level 6

As I've explained previously: When you do a 'normal' inventory with non-barcoded media, NBU assumes that all tapes are new and add new media id's for all tapes in the robot.

Now that you've done vmphyinv, NBU knows which tapes are in the in the robot. It has no idea that the media id's that were added previously do not really exist. So it simply move them to non-robotic.

Simply delete the media-id's that don't exist.

bharath_jakkani
Level 4

HI Marianne

I just deleted the media IDs as you said and now looking forward to barcoding them. Let me know I can do the barcoding for the media

Thanks

Bharath

Marianne
Level 6

Does your robot have a barcode reader? If so, please only stick barcode labels on tapes that do not have valid, unexpired backups on them (Time Assigned field must be blank).

If, for example, you stick label ABC001 on a tape that was used as A00001, NBU will think it is a brand-new, unassigned tape and will try to use it as such. When the tape is mounted, NBU will read the internal label and will freeze the tape due to the mismatch.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What i have come to know that you want to label the tapes which dont have barcode thn you do label them.

If you already have barcode on your tape thn there is no need to label them but you should have barcode reader on your Drive.