cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHEL Server getting backup Via WIndows Policy

rajeshthink
Level 4

I have an RHEL server (Linux) , But when i do bpgetconfig -s <Client_Name> i get output below .

Client of <Client_name>
PC-x64, WindowsXP
NetBackup

my SA confirmed its an Linux server , So ideal i should not be able to backup the client vis MS-windows Policy.

I try both way to backup the client via Standard / MS-window and its very odd that with both the policy the backup was Partially completed.

Backup selection was ALL_LOCAL_DRIVE

Master backup server is on 7.0.1 (Linux)

Can some on please explain why didnt we got any error.

Cheer,

Rajesh Kumar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We have a lab NBU server in our office running RHEL 5.?. 

I quickly wanted to do a test and configured a backup for my laptop. 
Backup was successful. When I tries to browse for restore, I got 'no entity found'. 
I went back to the policy - saw that I never changed the policy type to MS-Windows, just kept the default Linux policy type of Standard.  When I changed the search criteria to Standard, i could browse and restore my files.

So, although it is not ideal to have the wrong policy type, backups and restores will still work. There will be problems with file attributes and permissions that may not restore correctly.

To get back to your issue - Please check hosts files for incorrect IP address.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Because Netbackup doesn't check the OS before running the backup. This is human error in the configuration of your policy. NetBackup doesn't check absolutely everything otherwise backup jobs would take ages to go active and that's wasted time and resources.

Just flip the policy type to Standard and ensure in the client details in the policy you have the correct OS selected problem solved.

rajeshthink
Level 4

I dont have any error , my point is why didnt we got error , If this is the case then from Now all NBU admin will be able to configure standard policy in MS-window type.

i remember in 6.5 we use to have error 69 or 72 in Netbackup

cheer,

Rajesh Kumar

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

I have an RHEL server (Linux) , But when i do bpgetconfig -s <Client_Name> i get output below .

Client of <Client_name>
PC-x64, WindowsXP
NetBackup

when you say bpgetconfig is showing as Windows XP, does  the IP address is going to Windows serves?

did you  see the backup fies in BAR? does it have windows structure or unix sturucture?

what is the output of bptestbpcd -client <clientname> -verbose -debug

Marianne
Level 6
bpgetconfig does not get info from policy, it gets info directly from client. Check hosts file on server and/or DNS for incorrect IP address. Remember to clear NBU host cache after changes to hosts files and/or DNS: bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Not very clear on the issue here. Is the issue you are backing up using MS Windows policy or is the issue with the result of the bpgetconfig output? Please confirm. They are two different issues.

rajeshthink
Level 4

I totaly agreee with Maria , But still my point is why would netbackup allow a backup of window to happen when we have givin instruction to backup Unix Client.

also can you explain if backup have happen how will it do the restore (How will it creat Unix File Strucher using windows data)

cheer,

Rajesh Kumar

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

policy type is just a insturuction/catarigation for the different set of clients..

but netbackup do take the backup and define the file structure depends on the client when its communicated to client.

lets say... if you set the policy type as WIndows-NT and gave the unix client...in cliets tab.

when backup starts, it actually take the backup in unix file strucuter , as actaully it is real.....(it does not conider the policy type)

but when you browse the backup images from BAR window, you need to select the policy type as WINDOWS -NT, as it is specified in policy .. but it will show the files un unix file structure as the client is Unix .

netbackup can not create the cross file stcture(unix to windows.. and windows to unix)..

and i observerd, in 7.5.0.4 that is you specify the policy type is wrong(for window client as standard) backup will fail..

Marianne
Level 6

We have a lab NBU server in our office running RHEL 5.?. 

I quickly wanted to do a test and configured a backup for my laptop. 
Backup was successful. When I tries to browse for restore, I got 'no entity found'. 
I went back to the policy - saw that I never changed the policy type to MS-Windows, just kept the default Linux policy type of Standard.  When I changed the search criteria to Standard, i could browse and restore my files.

So, although it is not ideal to have the wrong policy type, backups and restores will still work. There will be problems with file attributes and permissions that may not restore correctly.

To get back to your issue - Please check hosts files for incorrect IP address.