cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMAN license

Phil_Dunn
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to integrate netbackup with an RMAN client, and am getting a 'cannot connect to client error '

I've tried backing up flat files which works fine, so am assuming it is a license issue.

Do I need an oracle agent license for each client I want to backup using RMAN or just one for all?

Is this license installed on the Mater or Client?

Thanks for any help you can give

Phil

3 REPLIES 3

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Yes, you need License for Oracle agent on master server in order to perform RMAN backups direct to tape using NetBackup.

In order for it to work, you need installl the oracle agent for NetBackup on client and then create a RMAN backup script on client, which you can create easily using the template provided. Also, policy type for this backup should be oracle.

As a genuine customer, you need to procure license for each client you want to configure for RMAN backup but NetBackup doesn't really check it. As long as you have single license installed on your server you can configure and backup as many as you want. 

Phil_Dunn
Level 3

Thanks for the info,

On checking the master server has the oracle extension, as does the media server we're trying to use.

The client has no licences installed, from what you are saying, we need to purchase and install one on there too?

Phil

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

You may have to purchase th license, depending upon how many licensed you bought and how many you are using, even if there is a descripency NetBackup doesn't care. It runs on honor system :)

No, you do not need to install any license on client but you will have to install the NetBackup oracle agent on top of base NetBackup agent on client. After installing Oracle agent you will see two library files in NetBackup/bin directory and one of these library files, depending upon your install 32 bit or 64 bit, need to get link with oracle library.