Did you mean: 

RMAN: overlapping restore and backup window

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

Oracle 11.2.0.3

Solaris 10

this post started with the two below links

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/any-steps-correctly-restore-oracle-archives-using-rma...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/nbu-restore-success-rman-archive-errors-occur

i've marked them as resolved also.

i'm opening this new one as a follow up and as an observation:

We always restore using a script mentioning the time up to which we want to restore.

We have a daily backup scheduled for our production environment which starts at “21:00” and finishes between “4 am to 5:30 AM”.

We have always noticed while restoring on alternate clients, if the restore finishes anytime between “21:00 and 5:30 am” (the window when production backup is going on) the restore always errors out with the same error “INF - RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 682 lowscn 14956764 found to restore”. But if the restore finishes out of the backup window, it finishes without any issues.

so as you can see, though we've narrowed down the cause, we still haven't found the root cause of the problem. hoping someone can shed light on this.

we are still investigating from our side.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Think about it this way : You are telling rman and NBU to save a database as it is on Monday 23 Nov. While this is taking place, someone else is telling NBU and rman to restore the same database to a previous date and time. Let's say Friday 20 Nov. Surely you cannot expect both actions to go ahead?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
This is obviously the issue: "... the window when production backup is going on..." You cannot restore anything while the backup is still active. Run bplist command to see what completed backups are available before restore is attempted.

RiaanBadenhorst

Given the information you've supplied here what you're trying to do it not logical. If there is more information, then please share it.

Otherwise, backup needs to complete before restore can start.

manatee
Level 6

hi all,

that is what is not clear to me. without knowing much about databases, why would restores be affected by currently running backups? i'm restoring a backup set that occured in the past while the backup is working on a different backup set (in the present). i believe i never encountered such thing with SQL Server, only with RMAN.

or is it a general rule that restores and backup windows should not overlap?

Marianne
Level 6
Think about it this way : You are telling rman and NBU to save a database as it is on Monday 23 Nov. While this is taking place, someone else is telling NBU and rman to restore the same database to a previous date and time. Let's say Friday 20 Nov. Surely you cannot expect both actions to go ahead?