cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re : How to backup NetApp cDOT volumes to Altavault using NBU 8.1

samshaw
Level 3

Hello,

How are you ? How do you backup NetApp volumes to AltaVault using NBU 8.1. I looked into Relication Director but it seems to create SLP for replicating into backup filer ( or volume) and then backing it up to Tape/disk etc with NDMP?

What we are attempting to achieve is backup straight from NetApp cDOT (9.2) --> AltaVault (4.3.1) --> AWS S3 using NBU 8.1. How do we achive this with NBU ?

This link seems to suggest doable but can't figure out how!

Thank you very much for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks very much Marianne for your response.

I believe with OST plug-in you can backup the hosts ( NBU Client) into AltaVault. What I was hoping to achieve is to backup NetApp cDOT volumes into AltaVault/AWS S3 using NetBackup.

Thanks again.

Marianne
Level 6

Looking at the AltaVault OST Guide, you will install the OST plugin on one or more media servers and config Storage Server, disk pool and STU. 

You will then configure NDMP policy to backup to AltaVault via the STU that was created.

You cannot configure NDMP storage unit using AltaVault.  
NDMP 'direct-attached' method works with tape only.
Backing up over the network to a media server is called 'Remote NDMP' backup method.

You can read up in NBU HCL about ' NDMP Devices - Connection Methods ' and in NBU for NDMP Admin Guide under 'Backup to Media Manager storage units (remote NDMP)'

Thank you Marrianne.

If we did 'Remote NDMP' backup method, would we still be able catalog and restore from AltaVault/AWS S3, like we would from tape ?

Many Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6

ALL backups, regardless of NDMP backup method (direct using direct-attached tape drives or remote using media server storage) are catalog'ed and can be restored until images expire as set by policy or SLP.