Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: To move dedup pool on a new server

paulo7
Level 4

Hi! 

Questions regarding this: 

We are facing the same situation: 
We have to replace MDSP media server hw at our customer with a new hardware. I am reading the Dedupe guide too and i am reading about the replacing the media server techdocs too. Another techdocs said that media server replacement is easy just do the activate and deactivate in this situation.

I am imaging two replacement scenarions:

Version A: 

Media server deactivate, move the MDSP disks to new server, boot the new server, media server activate. 

Version B: 

According to dedupe guide expire images on the dedup pool, delete storage server, delete disk pool, 

add a new server and import images. 

Question: 

Why Option B not mentioned in the dedupe guide? It will not work?

Why we have to import images, if we just activate the dedup server again it wont work?

Thanks a lot! 

BR: Paul

3 REPLIES 3

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Paul,

It's always best to start your own post with details of your own environment as there can be significant differences between versions.  Also this post has already been solved.  Are you using NetBackup version 7.7 as per the original poster?

Regarding your query as to why option B is not in the Dedupe guide, I think you'll find it is.  The Dedupe guide that Mike posted is for version 7.7.1 and if you look in Chapter 9, Table 9-1 on page 267 it lists the exact steps you said were not there.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Systems_Team
   VIP   

A couple of additional points:

I haven't seen any technote for deactivating a dedupe server, although the dedupe manual Mike posted includes in Chapter 10 a section about deactivating MSDP when it is related to uninstalling MSDP.  But in this case you also delete the storage so you will have no images to reimport to your new server.

I'm not sure if you are thinking about deactivating the media server from the GUI under Media and Device Management->Devices->Media Servers?  If so, how will that work, as the new media server knows nothing about the config of the storage and dedupe for your old server which is now deactivated?

Steve

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@paulo7

I have moved your reply over here: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/To-move-dedup-pool-on-a-new-server/m-p/841538  to a new discussion since that post was solved. 

About this statement:

"Another techdocs said that media server replacement is easy just do the activate and deactivate in this situation."

Please share the URL? I have never heard of that one.