cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Understanding the Scenario of server with backup

afzal1
Level 3

what is difference between for below license and maintainance. when we purchase license we get below two license and when we purchase for renewal we get only 12,24,36 Essentail option but not maintaince but why. please clarify so i'll get complete understandable.

NETBACKUP OPT NDMP XPLAT 1 SERVER
HARDWARE TIER 3 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE CORPORATE
ESSENTIAL 36 MONTHS INITIAL FOR NETBACKUP OPT NDMP XPLAT 1 SERVER HARDWARE TIER 3 ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE CORPORATE

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Thanks & BR

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
@afzal1

You have posted in the Backup Exec forum, but your question seems to be about NetBackup licenses?

Yes, exactly Miss, i have posted in forum for Backup Exec, can you please solve my based on NBU,

Marianne

@afzal1 

I have moved your new question to the NetBackup forum.

I want to encourage you to reach out to your local reseller to dicuss your licensing needs and for them to explain what exacly you are paying for. You should not only hear from them when they send you quotes.

I guess you posted the NDMP license as an example and that you have more licenses.

NetBackup has separate line items for license and maintenance.
You buy perpetual license only once. The first time you get 'initial' maintenance. 
ESSENTIAL 36 MONTHS INITIAL
This means you get 36 months Essential maintenance (although the word maintenance is not mentioned).

From there on, the maintenance is a renewal SKU.
So, the description will be ESSENTIAL xx MONTHS RENEWAL
This give you xx months Essential Maintenance.
(Again the word maintenance is not mentioned. It would simply make the description too long.)

So, ESSENTIAL means ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE.

ESSENTIAL means that you get 24x7 telephone and email support from Veritas.

Please have a look at this doc for detailed explantion :

https://www.veritas.com/content/dam/support/terms/Technical-Support-Solutions-Handbook-en-US.pdf

Thank you very much Miss, it was great to get support from your side, appreciated.

Please explain me what is role of  license in server. Maintainance and essentail 12,xx,xx.

Marianne

@afzal1 

I have tried to explain. I really don't know how else to explain.
Last try:

If you are are using traditional agent-based licenses, each backup server, client, option and feature that you use will need a license.
Each license has maintenance attached to it.
ESSENTIAL means ESSENTIAL (24x7) MAINTENANCE. So, you can contact Veritas 24 x 7 via email or phone (did you read the doc in the link that I posted yesterday?)
You buy (initial or renewal) maintenance for a period  - 12 months, 24 months or 36 months.

Please contact your local Veritas reseller to explain the role of licenses and maintenance in your environment.

Please ask your reseller to get your more information on the current Veritas campaign called 'Traditional to Capacity'.
If you convert existing agent-based licenses to Capacity, you do not need to worry about individual agent licenses.
With Capacity license, you have a single license (with Essential Maintenance) that enables all agents, options and features.