cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-install a decomm'd Media Server + HSM

gstonian
Level 3

So I stupidly uninstalled Symantec Storage Migrator last week after believing it wasn't being used. I have since discovered it was in use (but appears poorly configured so I couldn't check).

As part of this I also decommed the Media Server that Storage Migrator was on and just put a Standard Netbackup Client on the server.

I now need to put HSM back on and I presume the media Server back on to get this working. One of our applications doesn't work because I presume some of the files have been migrated by HSM and therefore without HSM it's not understanding/reading the files properly.

I have a full copy (tar) of /usr/openv/* (including hsm folder) before I started any work so would like to know if I can

a) mv current /usr/openv/ directory sideways and untar all /usr/openv (including hsm) back to it's original location. Understand this would require some manual manipulation for conf files and startup scripts etc.

or

b) Remove current NB Client (using procedures) , Installing NB Server Software (as new Media Server) & untar the /usr/openv/hsm folder

I uninstalled HSM by using the instal.hsm script (-D Option) & decommisioned the server using the procedures from Symantec Manuals.

Any advise would be very welcome.

2 REPLIES 2

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

I have never tried this before, but it is good that you have a copy of the old openv folder.

At this point I would uninstall the NBU Client. Install the same verison of NBU-media server as you did before and then extract your tar folder on top of this.

This should bring NBU back as it was before. HSM... not sure since I never worked with it.

Next... how well did you decomission the media server? Did you expire all the images and removed the media server out of the emm and bp.conf?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please let us know which NBU version, as decommission steps are quite different for the various NBU versions.

Please also mention the OS on the media server - installation on Solaris actually does a pkgadd in the background and will determine if your copy of /usr/openv will work. Solaris install is normally in /opt with symbolic link to /usr...  Please also mention how software was uninstalled.