cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-provision an Appliance 5230 storage shelf

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I'm planning on removing a storage shelf from an old NetBackup 5230 appliance we have and to add it to another 5230 appliance we have to expand the MSDP on the second appliance.

Veritas have confirmed this is ok and I don't see any issues in adding the shelf to the second appliance and I was planning to completely decommission the old appliance to remove the shelf.

However, I have just been told that the old appliance needs to remain in service as it also backs up to an HPE StoreOnce as a backup target - firstly I don't know if this is supported, but it's been this way for years and Veritas have supported this for years and so that's not an immediate concern of mine at the moment.

My question is around the approach to remove the shelf and what I need to watch out for. Downtime for the Appliance is fine and so completing activities with services stopped or needing to power off etc is all acceptable. There is no advanced disk storage unit or adv disk pool (as far as I know) but these can also be deleted

So I'm thinking:   

Expire all images from the MSDP and adv disks

Make sure all existing policies point towards the HPE StoreOnce appliance

Deactivate the MSDP database backup policy

Delete the MSDP\adv disk storage unit

Delete the MSDP and ADV disk disk pool

Delete the MSDP storage server?

Power down the appliance and disconnect the shelf

Power back up again

Anything more to do here?

But what about the Catalog?

I need to check the location of this and move it to the disk on the Appliance head unit (if there’s space) - is this even possible?

Where is the default location for the Catalog disk on the 5230 and can it be moved that easily?

Btw – NetBackup version is 7.7.x

Kind regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

All you need to do is two ways

1. Expire enough images so that you can reduce the MSDP to a size that would allow you to remove the shelve and keep only the head.
    1. reduce the msdp size with manage > storage > resize
    2. remove the disk manage > remove diskid
  2. Alternatively you can decommission the media server completely and then reset the storage on the appliance (support>reset storage)

Make sure to remove the disk in both case so its not listed as avialable or part of the current appliance storage. If you don't do this you'll find that the disk comes up as foreign in the new system. If that happens you'll need to elevate and wack it using some vxvm commands.

View solution in original post

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Sure you can’t go with 2 ( since your nbapp will be unpromoted as master)
The method 1 is safe since netbackup catalog is located on the base unit (disk presented by the head unit). You can check the catalog location with clish (manage > storage > show all). If (this is unexpected ...) catalog partition is not located on the base unit you just need to move it there.

Hope this help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

All you need to do is two ways

1. Expire enough images so that you can reduce the MSDP to a size that would allow you to remove the shelve and keep only the head.
    1. reduce the msdp size with manage > storage > resize
    2. remove the disk manage > remove diskid
  2. Alternatively you can decommission the media server completely and then reset the storage on the appliance (support>reset storage)

Make sure to remove the disk in both case so its not listed as avialable or part of the current appliance storage. If you don't do this you'll find that the disk comes up as foreign in the new system. If that happens you'll need to elevate and wack it using some vxvm commands.

CadenL

Thanks for the reply Riaan

Sorry - one really important bit of information that I neglected from the intial post - this is a single Appliance environment that runs both Master\Media roles - hence my concerns on the catalog location and space.

Does that negate option 1 from your suggestions?

I assume it definitely means I can't go for option 2. I still need the appliance to act as a media server for the HPE StoreOnce Appliance

thanks

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Sure you can’t go with 2 ( since your nbapp will be unpromoted as master)
The method 1 is safe since netbackup catalog is located on the base unit (disk presented by the head unit). You can check the catalog location with clish (manage > storage > show all). If (this is unexpected ...) catalog partition is not located on the base unit you just need to move it there.

Hope this help

CadenL

Perfect - many thanks again