cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read tape media from another Backup system

Petros_Marinos
Level 3

Greetings all!

I have a NetBackup 7.5 master server with an LTO5 supporting Tape Library attached.

I was recently presented with an 'external' LTO5 tape media, which includes images from a remote branch/site.

I cannot provide more details as to which was the Remote Backup System configuration in terms of software and hardware.

The tape has its barcode attached, i managed to mount it in my system and now resides at the "NetBackup" Volume Pool.

But what's next? Is there a slight possibility that i manage to read it's contents? For example, let's say that it contains images that are (luckily?) created from a Backup server running NetBackup as well. Can i retrieve the image files?

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If the tape is made using Netbackup, you can import the tape using the procedure outlined in this tech note:

Step-by-step procedure on how to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Console GUI.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000029918

Thank you very much Nicolai!

Ok and if it's not NetBackup? Smiley Sad

"Error bptm(pid=8252) block read is not a NetBackup or Backup Exec media header, len = 65536, media id 0249L5, drive index 0, data is unknown"

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can ONLY import NetBackup and/or Backup Exec (up to BE 12.5) tapes.

It is not possibly to import or read tapes in NetBackup from any other backup application. 

You will need to check with the source environment for backup software used.
Only that software will be able to read/restore the tape.

Just a word of warning:

If you leave the tape in the NetBackup pool and any backup policy is configured to use NetBackup pool, then this tape runs the risk to be overwritten.

Best to create a special pool (e.g. RESTORE or DONOTUSE) and move the tape to this pool.

Yes, i have already created an "Import" Volume Pool to "safekeep" it.

Thank you both, this discussion can be closed then.