cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reclaiming the space taken by a failed backup job

Suraj_Hegde
Level 3

HI,

Can anyone tell me how I will be able to reclaim the space taken by a failed job. Sometimes backup writes up-to 1TB data and still fails. How will I be able to clear it. One way is to expire the image, but its not feasible because its hard to trace out the failed jobs throughout the globe and expire them manually.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

For tape backup you can't reclaim the space. All images on tape has to expire before the tape can be re-used. Alternative is to copy all images off the tape to another - but that very time consuming process and really dont pay off compared to the price of a new tape.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Anytime a backup fails, an image cleanup should run right after and you should see it in the activity monitor.

If not, you can run it manually from the master server : bpimage -cleanup -allclients

Is this failing ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

For tape backup you can't reclaim the space. All images on tape has to expire before the tape can be re-used. Alternative is to copy all images off the tape to another - but that very time consuming process and really dont pay off compared to the price of a new tape.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

so if u have time copy the image from tape to disk at night 

then ran the command 

bpexpdate

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee