cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover catalog to different master server

raiden163
Level 3

Can anyone shed some light on how I would be able to restore the catalog (either entire catalog or images only) to another NBU master server at our DR site? Since the master server at our DR site has a different name I would think I'd only want to import the catalog image. But I'm not certain what, if any, problems that will cause once I do the import from the original master server.

We need to perform a DR test to validate our backup strategy and the goal is to have a warm standby server with NBU already installed on it. In the event of a disaster we would simply restore the catalog and then restore our mission critical servers once we got the NBU environment working at our DR site.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

what NBU version r u running? and which platform is? this is important in order to know which path to take.

please let us know.

regards

raiden163
Level 3

Our master server (HP-UX) is running NetBackup 6.5.1. We also have a Windows media server in our production environment and am not sure if we'll need to have one over at our DR site.

Thanks for the prompt response!

raiden163
Level 3

Any chance someone could help me out w/ this issue??

Thanks,

Kevin

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

If you are interestred in restoring image catalog only, then you can take a File system level backup of /usr/openv/netbackup/db/image directory and simply restore it to your DR server (by importing the tape or just moving (ftp/copy) selected images required for this restore). You  will have to use FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER in your bp.conf file to point to new media server or you can use bpimage command.

If you want to recover everything including EMM then you must have the server name at DR site same as at your production/primary site. 

ptek
Level 2

Does this apply to the situation I have?  I want to create a standby master server, in which I would like to copy images over to a new server connected to the same library.  The reason I would like to do this is because our catalog database is currently 600GB with a lot of data with perm retention.  I would like for this new master to preside over the infinite retention policies and to move thing over once per year.

Let me know.

ptek